Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2015 SLK55 AMG
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was not able to drive for about four weeks because of COVID-19. I hope this doesn’t happen to me, but if it does, should I have someone start my SLK55 and run the roof up and down at least once a week? A Mercedes salesperson told me that you should bring an SLK55 up to a normal temperature and then run the roof up and down after the car is warmed up at least once a week. Is this good advice?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,352 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the roof at all. More concerned with your car not being on a charger
and getting the car up to operating temp has NOTHING to do with the roof operation :D
no charger? then car needs to be driven at least 30 minutes/20 miles to charge the battery

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,600 Posts
I've always read that running an engine while stationary is not good for it, due to condensation....

Today I had a drive out in My SLC43 for the first time in 2.5 months and was surprising how long the engine oil and especially the gearbox oil took to come up to temperature... AMG's show this info:

Keeping the car on a CTEK charger or similar is the best strategy and then the roof can be operated with out the engine running, if Your feel the need to exercise it? (Certainly can with a Smart Top!)

As for how often to operate the roof, My R171 was stored every winter with just the occasional run out when the roads where salt free & never had a problem with the roof. Though the seals where looked after by both MB during the service & Myself with Gumi Pledge(y)

What the MB Salesman may have been referring to, is the roof should not be operated if it is to cold - Possibly more so for Rag Tops? So by warming the cabin up, the roof could then be lowered and raised with out risk of damaging the seals?

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,154 Posts
Not under 5oF / -15oC (bold is mine):

When opening and closing the retractable
hardtop, make sure
there is sufficient clearance for the retract-
able hardtop to move up and the trunk lid to
move back
the luggage cover is extended and closed
the trunk is only loaded to the height of the
luggage cover
the luggage/cargo does not push the closed
luggage cover up
the trunk lid is closed
no roof luggage carrier is installed
the outside temperature is
above +5°F (-15°C)

Otherwise the roof and other parts of the vehicle
may be damaged

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,600 Posts
Even with "Air-Scarf" - I'll pass on dropping the roof, when below -15'c outside....!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,379 Posts
Operating the roof there is no need. Starting and running the car the only thing to you could run into if not doing this is the battery can go below the level to start the car and will need to be charged or jump-started. Think about this the car most likely set on the dealer lot when new for a long time and not done started or roof operated. Many owners put them in storage for the winter months without starting and operating the roof. To avoid the battery going down you can use a battery maintainer.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
607 Posts
I have my 55 in winter storage for 5 months and I don't touch the roof during these moths. No problems so far.

Staring the ICE often without letting it get to operating temperature will get you in deep touble. Due to "blow-by" you will induce water to the motor oil. A certain amount of the air that is sucked into the cylinders are escaped into the crankcase. This air contains water and will not escape until you have reached full operating temperature. Multiple starting during winter will just add more and more water to the crankcase - and the oil. Just don't do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts