Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone can input some feedback on this topic.

How much do you trust your own MB dealer and do you believe everything they tell you and are they reliable.

Next one would be, do you use your MB dealer for any repair,issue etc?
or do you use a regular mechanic shop for certain things.

I personally have a 50 - 50% trust at my dealer...
I mean one time I asked for the airfilter to be changed, and the service guy came out with my old air filter and said,it looks perfect,no need to change it. That part I liked the honesty and they did not have to do that...but I am also wondering if its a little game to earn your trust with smaller things to be honest and other thing (expensive) to not so honest.

When I had my last oil change, I specifically asked and said " Can you also make sure and tell the mechanic,that I would like to have everything to be lubricated. And how much extra that would cost "

His reply was " it cost nothing, they lubricate everything anyways "

Well I know for a fact, a total lubrication takes usually takes place if you have your service B.

The thing with me is, I would rather talk with the actually guy repairing my car and or parts, then with the sales person, who is like the messenger.

Another thing I really dislike - My MB dealer, and I am not sure if all MB dealers do that.
After you bring your car for a A service or be Service or for a complete inspection.
They do not give you any printout, of specifics such as a list like this :

Tires : Excellence
Tire Pressure : Good
Brak Pads : Excellence
Rotor : Good
Engine Belt :
etc etc etc........

And at the end, a signature of the actually mechanic checking and or working on your car.

I am already considering going to a different MB dealer, just to see if I'll see a difference...just the next one is 40miles away in MI.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
I went to my dealer once four years ago for service and got screwed. I've been doing my own work ever since then. I buy one part a year from them just to keep in touch with the parts lady who has become a friend, the rest is from online vendors. As far as good onfo from them, they gave me so much bad info i don't ask them for anything. I think they do that on purpose because they know they won't get any business out of me.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Being informed and doing your homework helps keep the dealership honest. This is why this forum is very useful in identifing similar problems and solutions, even, Technical Service Bulletins.

It is also important to understand your rights and how to dispute an issue. More specifically, if the dealership (independent business persons) does not cover something you believe should be covered, you can request a meeting with the Mercedes Field Representative and/or pursue the dealership chain of command. If the problem is still not resolved, you should try MB Customer Relations.

Further, anything that impacts customer satisfaction (you) can be feed back to Mercedes and then to the dealership through surveys. Major leverage if you complete the surveys..... How many cars are allocated and what specific cars are allocated to the dealership are based on the feedback from you, the customer. Some Manufacturer's discount vehicles to dealerships with high customer satisfaction ratings to encourage good behavior.....

With regard to providing feedback, I have experienced different dealership processes and paperwork both in Michigan and Florida. I have received very detailed checklist of inspections performed, tire presure readings, brake pad thickness, rotor assessment, etc. It seems to vary by dealership (experience with 3 MB dealerships) to date with 33K miles. Very few problems - mainly maintenance items.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Speaking of repairs and dealership.
Since I am a huge huge "SEINFELD" fan, fanatic that is, I remember, George Costanza and Jerry going to a BMW / Mercedes dealership, to check out new cars...while checking out the rides, yadi yada yada....lol
George is upset with one of the mechanics for stealing his "twix" from the vending machine....lol
anyway George goes up to the manager to complain about the mechanic saying
I would like you to fire your dishonest mechanic now. To which the manager replies :
" did you bring your car in for a repair? "
Georges reply " Yeah right, like anyone with a normal brain would have car repaired at a dealership, I might as well throw the money out the window " lol

Its a legendary funny scene, and I assume,there is more truth to that statement,then we realize....thought I'd throw that in here :) HAHA

I hope I am not the only one who loves that show :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I trust my dealer only 50% and I have very little trust with the reparations, because every time I took there one of my mercs I always have to go back because the service isn´t performed as well as should be.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:Trust, no, tolerate would be a better word. With two cars under warranty, I have to play the game. I've had some issues with the local dealer. I'm much better prepared as a member of SLKWorld.com with tons of information here than someone who relies on the dealer 100%. With that said, time for a commercial. Those supporting memberships are a bargain.

·
WESTERN BILL
58 Posts
O u trust your m;b; dsealer

Well i go back in the shop and talk with mech. i have always got good service LOL may friend with him . theY alway send out e review on E=MAIL
if you give the a bad review you will get some better service

s

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Said it before, I'll say it again - seems to be really hit or miss with MB dealers. I've been very lucky, and my dealership in France was excellent, London (MB Bromley) has been very good, and Louisiana (MB Baton Rouge) has as well.

I do go armed with knowledge from the forum (shameless plug - go DONATE and keep it alive!) - but so far they have all treated me right. Made a bit of a difference on the second MB, but the SLK was always gonna happen. If Adam can help pull it off, I see another SLK in my near future!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Said it before, I'll say it again - seems to be really hit or miss with MB dealers. I've been very lucky, and my dealership in France was excellent, London (MB Bromley) has been very good, and Louisiana (MB Baton Rouge) has as well.

I do go armed with knowledge from the forum (shameless plug - go DONATE and keep it alive!) - but so far they have all treated me right. Made a bit of a difference on the second MB, but the SLK was always gonna happen. If Adam can help pull it off, I see another SLK in my near future!
John,

what are you hoping Adam will be able to pull off for you?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I was wondering if anyone can input some feedback on this topic.

How much do you trust your own MB dealer and do you believe everything they tell you and are they reliable.

Next one would be, do you use your MB dealer for any repair,issue etc?
or do you use a regular mechanic shop for certain things.

I personally have a 50 - 50% trust at my dealer...
I mean one time I asked for the airfilter to be changed, and the service guy came out with my old air filter and said,it looks perfect,no need to change it. That part I liked the honesty and they did not have to do that...but I am also wondering if its a little game to earn your trust with smaller things to be honest and other thing (expensive) to not so honest.

When I had my last oil change, I specifically asked and said " Can you also make sure and tell the mechanic,that I would like to have everything to be lubricated. And how much extra that would cost "

His reply was " it cost nothing, they lubricate everything anyways "

Well I know for a fact, a total lubrication takes usually takes place if you have your service B.

The thing with me is, I would rather talk with the actually guy repairing my car and or parts, then with the sales person, who is like the messenger.

Another thing I really dislike - My MB dealer, and I am not sure if all MB dealers do that.
After you bring your car for a A service or be Service or for a complete inspection.

Engine Belt :
etc etc etc........

And at the end, a signature of the actually mechanic checking and or working on your car.

I am already considering going to a different MB dealer, just to see if I'll see a difference...just the next one is 40miles away in MI.
that's much better than dealer that i've been to for RECALL.

read below the link. how dealer can screw you up.

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/16175-one-crazy-dealer.html

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
My dealer is DPatrick in Evansville Indiana. The mechanics, service managers, and general managers are consumate professionals. Automobiles are serviced behind a glass wall in total view of the customer. Service managers discuss each and every service detail in advance with customers and mechanics come out to brief customers when the job is completed. As I walk around the immaculate showroom during a service, I am only slightly distracted by management asking if they can get me any coffee or water or do anything to help me out....like loan me a car to drive or take me to the mall and pick me up when they are done.

I think a big part of having a good relationship with a dealer is clearly communicating in a friendly proactive way. I read some very acidic comments about dealers on the site. I wonder if these members have similar relationships with their dentists, bankers, grocers, etc? If they do maybe a look inside would be helpful. Dealers are obligated to fix your car properly at a reasonable cost, but they are not obligated to tolerate rude or obnoxious customers. I'm enough of a realist to know that every dealer may not be as good as mine, but if you don't like a dealer move on down the road!

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,926 Posts

Engine Belt :
etc etc etc........

I just got my car back last week from the first major service since I purchased it used, and I got just about exactly what the OP is asking for. They emailed me a PDF file with specifics such as measured thread depth on the tires, brake rotor thickness etc. And the name of the guy that performed all the inspections and the subsequent work was right in there. I guess this also varies quite a bit depending on the dealership you go to.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,433 Posts
My dealer's service dept lives for those 10s on their survey report card. They make their money on warrantied service for my car. They are the best!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
While I wouldn't deny there can be some pretty poor dealers--not all successful businesses are run by geniuses--I'm nevertheless completely convinced that life is a self-fulfilling prophecy and VERY many times the treatment one receives in business situations is the treatment one asks for.

Agreed also, that although the best way to "succeed" with service personnel is to understand completely in advance what they are going to do for you, that's not always possible and there's a valid expectation that service personnel be able to deal with the uninformed and still treat them fairly.

Here's a cute story: one of the things I do to keep myself informed is to every other month or so spend the $18 to subscribe to Startekinfo and learn of all the latest DTB (dealer tech bulletins) applicable to my cars. I've several times printed one out and brought it in and (always successfully) requested the fix be performed. BUT, the last time our MBCA chapter was having an "event" at the dealer and the deal was have your car inspected for free and I brought by SLK (passed no problems) but also brought a printout of an error message I'd received on the multifunction display on my GL320CDI. My Service Advisor was pretty pleased with himself that he knew of a DTB to fix this problem before I did.

It was pretty interesting--glow plug relay erroneously cycles on during engine operation creating basically a "reboot" of entire electrical system; only occurs at high altitudes and cold weather. It's pretty easy where I live to be driving in areas where there are no signs of civilization visible for 360 degrees and the tens to nearly hundreds of miles to the horizon (and no other traffic) and it's really kind of "no fun" to get a message (in red) "go to dealer and do not shift gears." Following having COMAND reboot.

So, being knowledgeable helps a lot, but so is a willingness to pay for things rather than just go for "free" warranty fixes. So, I've paid my dealer to redirect iPod interface to console to connect to iPhone cradle, install snow tires on eBay wheels, purchased and replaced summer tires, and more. Of course all Service A/B done by dealer. These guys believe you should have them do the basic services and conclude you're doing the right thing by your car when you do and respect you for it. They are, after all, just a bit more trained than you, and it's more than just greed and in fact seldom if ever is.

So, I get treated very well and the work is very competent and they've "gone beyond the call" a couple times to the extent it won't get detailed here.

And, the percentages are way in your favor that your dealer understands that happy customers keep coming back and will treat you pretty well and perhaps even treat you exceptionally well especially if you "ask" to be treated that way. Ask with respect, that is, not as a "whiner." Not as a "know it all," either ... because you without question don't.

Finally--and most important of all--it's really pretty unrealistic to think (fantasize IMHO) that you can have a successful relationship with a car without dealer support. Once that's understood, the next step is to budget for it.

If all you can afford is to own the car and maybe to have some work done by "cheapest guy in town," you've made a mistake and need to own something besides a Mercedes.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The problem most sevice dealer is you are not allowed to get inside the shop, for some kind of insurance reason. Here at MB Henderson,Nevada they have a monitor in the waiting room where you can watch from the screen what they doing in your car.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Reviving an older thread! ;p So almost a year on, still happy with both my dealers. Like Don and others, I use the knowledge I gain here on the forum to keep 'em honest....

·
Registered
522 Posts
My dealer is DPatrick in Evansville Indiana. The mechanics, service managers, and general managers are consumate professionals. Automobiles are serviced behind a glass wall in total view of the customer. Service managers discuss each and every service detail in advance with customers and mechanics come out to brief customers when the job is completed. As I walk around the immaculate showroom during a service, I am only slightly distracted by management asking if they can get me any coffee or water or do anything to help me out....like loan me a car to drive or take me to the mall and pick me up when they are done.

I think a big part of having a good relationship with a dealer is clearly communicating in a friendly proactive way. I read some very acidic comments about dealers on the site. I wonder if these members have similar relationships with their dentists, bankers, grocers, etc? If they do maybe a look inside would be helpful. Dealers are obligated to fix your car properly at a reasonable cost, but they are not obligated to tolerate rude or obnoxious customers. I'm enough of a realist to know that every dealer is my not be as good as mine, but if you don't like a dealer move on down the road!
I agree with you on the setup at your MB dealer where the customer can see the service bays from the lounge through a glass window. Unfortunately the dealer I take my SLK55 AMG to in SoCal I can not see anything at all. I just wished they have similar set up like yours. Incidentally the Lexus dealer I take my Lexus to in SoCal (the biggest Lexus dealer on the west coast) has similar set up as you MB dealer. In fact the floor at the service bay is tiled and polished!!!! Everything is top tier. So far I am also very happy with the MB dealer that I deal with in SoCal.........except I can't see anything once I get there!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dealerships are like any other service provider. Some good some not so good. I bought a 2008 BMW 335i with nav and it just did not work correctly. One day on the freeway, miles from my destination it told me to make a legal uturn and that I was on an unmapped road. Took it to the dealership where I bought it and Service Manager told me “nav systems in BMWs suck” (ya that’s a quote) and there was nothing he could do. I drove 10 miles to another dealership (both owned by AutoNation) and they determined it had a defective circuit board.

When I bought my SLK350 I made it clear I would only buy from the Sales Manager and for service would only deal with the Service Manager. I have been more than pleased with service so far and the Service Manager has gone out of his was to do research for me and do things MB said could not be done. On one upgrade he told me MB would not let him do it but made an appointment for me with an indy that could.

I dislike not being able to see the car while it’s in service. I am going to recommend they put a closed circuit monitor in service lounge. It only costs a few hundred dollars and would be money well spent by them.

One service item that is of concern to me is that once a year, at a minimum, all moving parts (joints/hinges) on the top need to be lubricated. Also, all the seals need to be cleaned and treated. I want to see that they actually do it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
One service item that is of concern to me is that once a year, at a minimum, all moving parts (joints/hinges) on the top need to be lubricated. Also, all the seals need to be cleaned and treated. I want to see that they actually do it.
Gulp, I hope that doesn't apply to mine, which has only been serviced twice in 5 years - a feature of the long-life oil I had assumed.

This is the one aspect of SLK ownership that worries me. I too would like to witness the work.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Gulp, I hope that doesn't apply to mine, which has only been serviced twice in 5 years - a feature of the long-life oil I had assumed.

This is the one aspect of SLK ownership that worries me. I too would like to witness the work.
People really exhibit inconsistent behavior.

Dealer mechanics for Mercedes are extrememly professional.

Do you want to "watch" your accountant do his thing?

Your attorney?

Your surgeon?

It's not as if any of us is even close in automotive knowledge to a Mercedes professional.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.