Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
567 Posts
(Ariel Atom excepted on all counts)....
It's not the speed, it's the fact that you're literally sitting on the tarmac on that one that does it :).

My SLK55 feels faster because I'm MUCH (!!) lower to the ground than in the Skoda. Yes, obviously the SLK55 IS faster than the 1.6L Skoda, but when I got back in the Skoda a few weeks after I got the SLK, I felt like I was sitting on the top of a tall building :). So even at the same comparable speed (50mph), the SLK feels A LOT faster..

·
*Premium Member
2014 SLK55 AMG "Angelina IV"
1,707 Posts
When mine runs, it runs for 2 or 3 hundred miles. In the garage its on a proper multistage AGM battery maintainer.

Every time I want to drive, like today, It'll start straight up and after a little warm-up will get some good cardio and breathing.

But will only do about 150 miles today.

:)

Reactions: Trev5 and Avel Du

·
*Premium Member
2014 SLK55 AMG "Angelina IV"
1,707 Posts
Tricky question this. You need to have some mileage on a car because one that’s been sat or only used for short journeys can have it‘s own unique issues. Short trips don’t give the oil enough time to warm up and lubricate the engine properly which in turn can cause premature wearing of any metal on metal parts. 5 five minute journeys does a lot more harm than 1 twenty five minute journey. Other things that can be problematic are things like brake operation or rust in the fuel tank. When leaving a car for a length of time, many Don’t bother to fill the tank which can cause condensation then rust as a consequence. IMHO, yours @ 60k miles and 8 year old sounds about spot on. Mine is only a 350 but 68k at 2008 doesn’t worry me in the slightest….. plenty more fast life left in my old girl yet!
Quite the opposite. Park up a car with a full tank. It's the free air space that condenses, not fuel. No air space, no condensation.

It's a bit of a moot point though as current tank systems are not freely vented but kept under slight negative pressure to keep hydrocarbon fumes from gassing off. of course it does require your fuel system to be in top condition.

This from someone who has scrapped 400 litres of diesel from partially filled boat tanks that developed diesel bug from moist air in storage.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK350
76 Posts
It's interesting to read your experiences as someone that's considering an SKL 55 AMG as a potential purchase. I've seen a few where the mileages are very low - and the price is very high - and some where the mileages are higher, and the prices a bit lower. I'm at a toss up between low mileage but not used enough compared to higher mileage things wearing out. As always I know history is the key, but lots for me to think about.

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
3,946 Posts
Agree leaving the tank reasonably full of decent fuel if planning to not use Your SLK for a few months makes sense...

Though I can't comment on condensation on what is a sealed fuel system on SLK's: What is a bigger issue now E10 fuel is shortly going on sale here in the UK, is Oxygen makes/allows the Ethanol content to "go off".... So the fuller the tank, the less oxygen is available to turn the new E10 fuel bad...?

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
209 Posts
I'm not sure my input is relevant but new (to me) SLK 55 AMG (2005)

74,000 miles

Just had valve cover gaskets done - currently removing all the "bolt and stick on tat"

I did a lot of research on the car as at my price point it's normally accident damaged and iffy history

Car Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
*Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG
10 Posts
My 2002 32 was bought back in March with 130,000 on it and already has another 135,000 as it's turned into my wifes daily driver. So far I've done engine and transmission mounts, the oil pump seals and a new set of rear tires. Check engine light comes on if you get on it as of late. Mechanic wants some ungodly amount to do plugs, wires and coils so once I figure out the best parts to get and order them, I think I'll tackle this job myself.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts