Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
* Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in two metrics:

High mileage AMGs, both 32s and 55s, with a view to assessing longevity. If you've got high miles, but you've had a major failure at some point, fess up!

The average miles AMG owners cover in a year - so that when scoping the classifieds I can get a feel for 'well used' compared to 'garage queens'.

Mine: Coming up to 113k miles - acquired nearly 8 years ago with just over 60k on the clock. Daily driver. No engine problems at all - emissions still extremely low at every annual check. Most major items other than bushings, have been a broken exhaust manifold and the expected gearbox refurb commonly required on early 722.9 transmissions. Overall, far less spent on maintenance and repairs than anticipated when I bought it.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
106,117 Posts
120k 13 years no major issues - knock on wood
rear engine main seal
valve cover gaskets\2009 SLK 55 AMG

·
* Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
1,674 Posts
I bought mine with just under 104,000 and I just crested 114,000 since November 2019. So about 8,000miles per year. Daily driver (when the snow doesn't fly). No issues, rear tires and an oil change is all I've done.

·
* Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
2,714 Posts
Mine is on the other end of the spectrum with 10,700 miles in 14 years. It was in storage for 5-6 years while we traveled and we have 4 other cars we need to drive.

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
308 Posts
I've had my SLK32 for 6 years now . Got it with 81,000 on the clock and it now has 120,000.
It's been used and abused and to be honest I havent really done much service work on the engine it at all. Doesn't use any oil and runs smooth and strong . Probs tempting fate by saying that now. Rust is my issue .
I've been told the engines in these are bullet proof and atm I've got not reason to doubt that . I love it .

·
* Premium Member
2004 SLK32 AMG
5,611 Posts
‘04 , SLK 32. Owned it for 4 years, currently has 69,000 miles, putting 5,000 miles per year. Replaced harmonic balancer (dampener) at 52,000. A known weakness in some 32’s. In the past 2 years it will not pass emissions. No codes! Granted an exception each year, so far. Replaced K40 relay last year. If my memory serves me correctly, there is (was) a ‘32 owner in Washington state with 200k on theirs. The “Toy” is still a wonder to drive! 😁😁😁. 😁😁

·
* Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG
590 Posts
my car was three years old when I got it with 22k miles and I've had it 5 years. I was averaging about 1500 to 2000 miles per year until Covid, in the past 18 months I've done about 500 miles. To be honest I don't need it as transport, my wife and I are retired and only need one car between us so it's only used as a toy - as and when I need a hit of speed/power/noise !! Mine has had more faults than any car I've owned over 40 years of ownership and certainly more than I expected (nothing to do with the engine) but I've got my head around that now, it is what it is.

·
* Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my car was three years old when I got it with 22k miles and I've had it 5 years. I was averaging about 1500 to 2000 miles per year until Covid, in the past 18 months I've done about 500 miles. To be honest I don't need it as transport, my wife and I are retired and only need one car between us so it's only used as a toy - as and when I need a hit of speed/power/noise !! Mine has had more faults than any car I've owned over 40 years of ownership and certainly more than I expected (nothing to do with the engine) but I've got my head around that now, it is what it is.
Interesting - what kind of faults?

·
* Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG
590 Posts
Interesting - what kind of faults?
In time line order....​
1. leaking roof - sorted by main dealer under warranty​
2. wheel speed sensor failed front left​
3. wheel speed sensor failed front right (both should have been replaced when the first one went but the main dealer I used didn't do that - using a different one now)​
4. Exhaust flap actuator failed on the tight side - removed by me and flaps open permanently now - I was thinking of doing the X pipe mod but this actually saved me the money as it gives me the noise I want now and it cost the price of the gadget that tricks the sensor into thinking the flaps are working normally - £30 I think.​
5. heating flap failed which caused the motor that drives it to burn out - had both replaced at a cost of £1500.​

I'm also amazed at the way the plastic strips on the roof are peeling and the leather seat side bolster on the drivers side looks like it's done 222,000 miles not 22,000. That's more faults than any car I've previously owned and that includes 10 years of alfa ownership. Don't let me put you off but search the forum, I suspect I've had all of the common faults on my single car (except paint peeling - that's red cars).

Having said all of that, I wouldn't change this car for anything (unless it's a new AMG GT for the same price !!!), it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it and I can't stop glancing at it as I walk past, even after 5 years of ownership. It's a magical car but not fault free and I suspect you will find similar or worse faults on other brands of modern built vehicles.

·
* Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
To date: 123,846 miles
Bought: 08/31/2007, 13.6 years old

Rear main engine seal
valve cover gasket
AC air compressor (last year)

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
140 Posts
54k miles. Does approx 4K miles per year.

I drive it hard when above 80 degrees oil temp.
At a supercar experience this weekend, I drove it harder on the way home than the various cars I drove on track, and it’s noisier and more fun than flappy paddle Gallardo, slower but more engaging fun than a Nissan GTR. the 55 somehow feels faster because it’s noisier and less refined.

(Ariel Atom excepted on all counts)....

gearbox plate thing replaced by dealer before delivery. No problems since.
gearbox is dim witted, but that’s the design, not a fault.

touch wood, no major failings in the service history.

Front bumper resprayed twice. Stone chips and peeling lacquer.

the driver’s seat creaks, despite lots of fault finding.

front control / thrust arms replaced (leaking very slightly)

alarm siren being replaced next week (repeated alarm activation), battery failure likely.

I think I have a failing 02 sensor, as the engine kicks noticeably at @3k revs.

I have probably cursed it now, but I think these are magnificent pieces of engineering If looked after with care and respect.

·
* Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG
317 Posts
had mine a year as the second owner. it has 37K on the clock and I put 2k on in that time.

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,702 Posts
7 years old 55, just rolled through 50 000 miles. Only doing about 3000 miles a year now as she's kept for the good days only. I have a couple of other vehicles to play with.

·
Super Moderator (UK) 2008 SLK350
1,530 Posts
Tricky question this. You need to have some mileage on a car because one that’s been sat or only used for short journeys can have it‘s own unique issues. Short trips don’t give the oil enough time to warm up and lubricate the engine properly which in turn can cause premature wearing of any metal on metal parts. 5 five minute journeys does a lot more harm than 1 twenty five minute journey. Other things that can be problematic are things like brake operation or rust in the fuel tank. When leaving a car for a length of time, many Don’t bother to fill the tank which can cause condensation then rust as a consequence. IMHO, yours @ 60k miles and 8 year old sounds about spot on. Mine is only a 350 but 68k at 2008 doesn’t worry me in the slightest….. plenty more fast life left in my old girl yet!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts