Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
‘05 SLK 55 with 160,000 miles. Still less than my DD F-150 but I don’t know that I have seen too many SLK’s with this kind of mileage. However, I have seen a lot of “take a licking and keep on ticking” MB’s

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,067 Posts
are you asking slks or just this slk 55?

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
111 Posts
‘05 SLK 55 with 160,000 miles. Still less than my DD F-150 but I don’t know that I have seen too many SLK’s with this kind of mileage. However, I have seen a lot of “take a licking and keep on ticking” MB’s
Well I would have thought that a well maintained (regular oil/filter Etc. changes) an engine like your asking about, is just about run in:grin:

My 4 banger 230 has 150,000 miles and is sweet as a nut :laugh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I am looking at a 55 with 155,000 on the clock. It looks ok but my brother-in-law thinks it may have been a track car and stay clear. They say it was a daily driver, 3rd owner. He has put some money into it and seems to be able to afford the maintenance. It is a color I like.

·
95,067 Posts
Well I am looking at a 55 with 155,000 on the clock. It looks ok but my brother-in-law thinks it may have been a track car and stay clear. They say it was a daily driver, 3rd owner. He has put some money into it and seems to be able to afford the maintenance. It is a color I like.
my 55 is 11 years old, 113k, was daily driver and i put money into it :D

plus Supercharger, plus LSD, plus headers, plus tune

Might be your dream 55! :D

·
95,067 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has a ceramic coating on the paint, but it has faded on the mirrors and has some chips I would want to have fixed. I have no experience with ceramic coated paint. Anyone know if that will add to my paint bill$?

·
Long Time Member 2005 SLK350
3,700 Posts
Its all about service history for me , if its had regular good servicing it should be fine.

Put it this way a merc 350cdi ambulance with regular oil change , a different driver every day and given a very hard life will give us between 190,000 and 250,000 miles before the engine gives up and that's shifting 5 tonne.

so a well serviced 5.5 v8 in a slk should still give you a lot of smiles :smile: per miles for years to come.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,644 Posts
+1 service history (even in the US) is critical. Have bought cars with over 100k miles before but limit is about 130k since tend to keep cars I like for a while. In fact the only one I consider redundant now has a cloth (Haartz) top instead of a retractible.
Also tend to buy cars that were expensive/odd when new and have depreciated A Lot but then I live where such is common.

Right now I have four that read 60-70k miles and is unlikely any will be driven enough to reach 100k. Do buy a lot of Sta-Bil.

Other factor (particularly in southern states) is whether the car has been garaged since sun damage can have a five year old car looking like 50 and needing thousands of dollars of work to look presentable. Fortunately most of my cars were always garaged.

So "Condition is everything" and far more important than miles (or KM) other than as a negotiating point.

·
Registered 2009 SLK55 AMG,
212 Posts
It really is all about the maintenance history. MBs can be money pits if you don't have a good sense of how much deferred maintenance there is, and whether it is recoverable or not. Well cared for MBs can run for hundreds of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My friend, Klink, a Mercedes Master Tech, said the M113 engine is a solid piece of engineering. He has seen M113's with over 500,000 miles. The bottom end still original, but heads were rebuilt.

I bought a 2005 SLK55 with 99,000 miles. Sketchy records. So I did the fluid changes. Coolant, trans,differential, brakes and oil. The coolant and trans were done at a Mercedes dealer. $750 The other I did myself, using the correct M-B fluids. The diff fluid cost $75 .

I am a believer in Mobil One oils. Due to it does work well, and in the USA is available everywhere. Also, I don't agree with M-B 10K mile oil change, I change mine about 6K miles. The additives break down at that point.. My car does not burn oil. I don't baby it, and am a believer in you have to at least drive 100mph once a day, why? Cause you can!

Other problems with my car, was some missing plastic pieces, and Motor mounts are bad.

I have gotten to drive it at high speed for a distance. Over 120mph doing 20 laps at Talledega. Very stable, and that was with the top down.

It's a great car, and has potential for many happy miles, just do the maintenance called for.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
58 Posts
Personally I would rather buy a higher mile vehicle with good maintenance than a low milage trashed car.

I bought my BMW 650xi (yes I know its not a mercedes :), but is is a biturbo V8) with about 65K miles and its now at 115K miles, without any issues, just proper maintenance.
The car still looks fresh and new and I plan to drive it a couple of years more.

The reputation of Mercedes is even better, so i would not worry about higher milages.

Cheers
Michel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts