Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is 2007 SLK 55 AMG. I bought new rear tires about 6300 miles ago and currently they are almost at the wear bars. Probably will reach the wear bars when they reach 7000 miles. I guess I have to thank the monster V8 engine for wearing out the rear tires so quickly. I am lucky that Tire Rack is only 30 miles away and their tires are cheaper than our local tire shops. They always have tires in stock for all of my cars.

Front tires seems to last at least two times longer than rear tires. I bought the car used almost three years ago and the front tires do not yet seem to age and I have no idea when the front tires were replaced. So far I have driven 8500 miles since I bought it.

My previous Porsche Boxster (regular and "S" models) rear tires lasted about 12K miles but has a lot less power than SLK 55 AMG.

How long do your rear tires last for your SLK 55 AMG?

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have been averaging about 5000 per set of rears and I don't smoke them at starts. Seems a by product of pressing down on the accelerator.

Agree fronts at least twice as long for wear.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,091 Posts
I don't smoke em and they last me between 10 and 12000 miles. what tire pressure do you keep them at? I run 36, recommended is 35 cold

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
When I bought my current SLK used I put new tires on rear. At 3000 miles they were wore out. They were high performance summer tires and the alignment was out at the same time. Got alignment and bought all season performance tires and got around 25000 before they wore out.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I love the SLK 55, but the main reason why I opted not to get this model was because of the frequent tire replacement issue. If it weren't for that, I would have purchased an SLK 55 hands down. I used to own a Porsche that ate through tires like nobody's business. It drove me crazy!!!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
41K miles for the fronts and on 3rd set for the rears averaging 7K to 15K miles per set. Ready for a new tires all around once I relocate my SLK55 from Michigan to Texas..... Rears get eaten up on 20mph to 50mph rolling starts R)

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
I use 200UTQG Extreme Performance tires, Dunlop Z2s, and got 15k out of my set of rears. That's with a full season of autocross. 12 events, 4 runs each, 48 competition runs. 24 autocross driving school/clinic runs in one day. Roughly 20 extra "fun runs" throughout the season.

My fronts still had plenty left, but I swapped to a fresh set all around. I had a nail on my right front.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't smoke em and they last me between 10 and 12000 miles. what tire pressure do you keep them at? I run 36, recommended is 35 cold
I use the factory recommended tire pressure as written somewhere near driver's side door at cold temperature.

Peter

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got alignment and bought all season performance tires and got around 25000 before they wore out.
What brand and model tires are you using?

I had 4 wheel alignment done when I bought Michelin Pilot Sport tires and still wore out the rear tires pretty quickly.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
What brand and model tires are you using?

I had 4 wheel alignment done when I bought Michelin Pilot Sport tires and still wore out the rear tires pretty quickly.

Peter
Conti's Extreme Contact DWS They are all season performance tires. Just installed the second set on the rear and first set on the front. Do a search as many others are using these. Check tirerack.com for ratings and specs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How long your tires last depends upon how hard you drive.

I do a couple of tracks days each year in my SLK55 and I can easily cord a brand new set of PS2's in 2 track days ( 250 miles) if I push hard.

I currently run YOKO AD08's on my car which do last much longer under hard driving, but are harsher in DD. So I don't do burn outs, but I do slide the car a lot...:bannana:

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Gbarringer100 "Which Conti's did you have?"

Well.....They are gone as of this afternoon. Were original equipment as new on the car.

Trying the new Conti replacements on a 1000 mile trip starting tomorrow. They are same size as original same ratings, but less money:)

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
You most likely had a summer high performance tire if it was the OEM. Summer tires can have a short tread life. If it is a normal everyday type driving suggest you look at all season performance tires for long tread life. General speaking a Summer High Performance will have a tread rating on the side of the tire around 200 while a all season performance will have a rating around 400.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I had Yokohama summer tires new from dealer when I purchased the car. Rears last 11k and sounded like riding on train rails. Terrible with the top up. Fronts had another 10k left but feathered over 2 months and almost as loud as the rears. Had it aligned and bought the new Michelin A/S 3 all around. Only had them on for couple hundred miles but I'm very pleased with no noise, ride and handling. They seem to be as good as summer tires. Independent testing showed they had better if not the same. Remains to be seen how long they last. Michelin warrantys staggered rears for half normal life @ 25k but 50k for the fronts.
My wife refused to get in it till I bought the new A/S 3s and I couldn't much blame her.

One factor to the rear wear is probably the aggressive shift pattern in my AMG. You can feel it downshift when approaching a stop like a manual. Plus it needs to be let out of the barn to run free.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Noticed no one mentioned that the camber on the rear wasn't chosen for tire wear. IMO that is the main reason for rear tire wear. and no it's not adjustable, without a mod.

·
Registered
28 Posts
my '04 S55 AMG gets rears every 9-10k miles under "normal" use. Normal, meaning every on ramp is a chance to squeeze on it a little... lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What is is the wear rating on the OEM tires? My SLK is in production and I hope to have it in mid October. If it comes with summer tires, I'm going to have to change them out to winter tires pretty quick depending on the tire temp rating.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.