Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an article that says the median age of passenger vehicles has crept up to 9.4 years in the US, a new record. I see more old Mercs than some other brands, so I bet the average might be higher. Though I might be more sensitive to noticing them since we have one. It would be interesting to see a breakdown by brand.

Article Link - Cars.com Blog

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well it must be true in many countries. Sadly in the present times this number should increase.

In my case it depends, but normally I keep my cars 4 years. In the case of my upcoming SLK I want to keep it for my family's´ next generation :)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I think most people will likely hang onto their cars longer. I've also noticed companies like Firestone, Pep Boys, Autozone's business is up. Probably due to people hanging onto their cars longer and trying to repair or maintain vs. replace.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Around 3 - 4 Years I'm guessing (bearing in mind my cars are almost fully paid by that time). I work hard and believe if you can afford to change your car, you can!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Kept my last Mercedes a C Class 06 plate 220CDi for 18months, then traded it in for my SLK280 - lost a shed load of money on it, really liked it but fancied a change. The longest I have ever kept my main car is probably 3 years but like to change them after paying them off.

Will probably keep this one for 3 years.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Mines just a 'weekend toy' - ok, it's got low mileage, but I paid £43K for it, and now if I sold it, would get mebbe £16K for it -I'd loose a stack, - I've bought older cars than my SLK will be in 25 years time, so there is no point in selling it. If, I get £10K for it in 30 years time (if I'm still alive, and there's still petrol), it's only cost me £1K per year - cheap fun motoring !!

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
Mines just a 'weekend toy' - ok, it's got low mileage, but I paid £43K for it, and now if I sold it, would get mebbe £16K for it -I'd loose a stack, - I've bought older cars than my SLK will be in 25 years time, so there is no point in selling it. If, I get £10K for it in 30 years time (if I'm still alive, and there's still petrol), it's only cost me £1K per year - cheap fun motoring !!
:tu:I agree with Woolly's logic. Currently, there's nothing I rather have (another car) than my SLk 55. Looks new, even tho it's a 2005. Not sure what it's worth, but I'd rather have the car than the money. I have a tendency to get attached to my cars. I've had my 2004 Mazda6 for almost five years and still really like it with no desire for a replacement. My wife and I have five vehicles. The one I could live without is our '97 Toyota Tocoma pickup. With snow this week on the east coast, I had a chance to go four wheeling in the snow and I realize it has a purpose that I wouldn't want to subject any of the other cars to. More bad news for the car industry, I don't see another new car purchase anytime soon for me.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Generally I get moved about the time I want/need a new car. I've not bought a new car in a while - simply because I expect not to be "in country" long enough to really justify it.

Last C was 2 years old when I bought it, 7 when I sold it - the one I have now is a 2004 (picked it up with 10k miles - gotta love used in the UK!). The SLK was a wild hair as it looked like I was going to be spending at least half my time in the states - with the economy wrong way up, looks like that might not be the case - means I enjoy it even more!

I'll hold on to my '350 until the R172's come out - if I fall in love, I'll grab one, if not, I'll make a great deal on a low mileage '55!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've only had three cars total, my first I owned for ~2 years, second for another 2 years and just got the SLK this year! As of right now, i'm either keeping this for 3 years, then getting a different SLK, or just keep this until... whenever, lol.

I'll hold on to my '350 until the R172's come out - if I fall in love, I'll grab one, if not, I'll make a great deal on a low mileage '55!
+1 on that! If the new R172's aren't all the good on the looks side, I may just grab a low mileage 55 aswell.

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG w/P30
178 Posts
I had one car I bought new in 1987 and sold last fall and a beater truck I got in 1990 I sold just a few weeks ago. Neither had any problems with them. Finally got the bug to get a new beater. Now I'm back down to two vehicles again. It might be awhile again until I get another one.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well I parked my first car in a power pole after 3 months of ownership! Needless to say it didn't come out the otherside.
My second car was written off when someone crashed into me after 3 years ownership.
Had my last car for 5 years (without writing it off!) before getting my SLK which I've had for 3 months and planning on keeping for approx 3 years before upgrading to another SLK, whatever I can afford at the time :)

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
usually around 3-4 years.

·
aka Denny
196 Posts
I've kept my cars a long time. Other than the SLK purchase last year, my prior purchase was in 1996. The main reason I made that purchase and gave up my then 10-yr old car was because I wanted air bags.

That 1996 purchase was a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. I don't think I can express how sick I am of driving that car after ~13 years of regular use, considering it wasn't anything special when it was new.

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
The SLK55 feels brand new and looks the same as well, I absolutley love the car and I really think its a better car than the SL which feels like the boat. I might be in an SL when I might be in mid life where as now sporty cars I like a lot. I would love to go for a 599 GTB Fiorano but I feel its a lot of money to spend on an asset keeping in mind that the roads aren't that great over here and you cant enjoy it as much as being somewhere in Europe or specifically monte carlo where you get to park by the pavement in front of the restaurant or by the hotel. What I mean its about the total experience and its lacking over here.

Usually cars last around 7 years with me but I got very bored I would love to get a new car just for the sake of waiting, the creativity in the order, watching videos and the sheer excitement of being behind the wheel of a new car.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
We've usually kept cars 2-4 yrs just because of PSCing with the military and because I've had so many car interests in the past 20 years.

The SLK is what I've always wanted and my wife loves her Vue. The only car she would part with it for would be an X3 and since the economy is so bad right now, plus the fact both cars are paid for, I don't mind not having any car payments. That's money in the bank all by itself! :tu:

·
Registered
13 Posts
turned over my last SLK after 11 years
for my 09 SLK55 (very early build '98).
drove my new 911 for 13 years before that.
guess I don't turn over cars very often......

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I've had the GTO 33 years and counting (first car), owned my Corvette 13, will probably keep the 55 for a loooong time! Used to get a new daily every 4-5 but with current times we plan to drive the wheels off the '05 Passat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.