Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! me again!

Does anybody know how long I can disconnect my battery(the one under the hood) without having any problem to the car? I'm planning to take the battery out and have it fully charge over night in order to test it, will that be too long for the car without battery in?

Highly appreciate for the help:tu:

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I've left my out for a week or so at a time. The biggest problem you will create is that the ASSYST system loses track of "time" until next service. Not a huge deal if it's a week or two.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
It looks like the limiting factor is not likely to be the car (as with the full size one, it can remain disconnected indefinitely without any problems), the main problem will be how long your son/grandson can go without his wheels :)

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Which one? the SLK55 or the kid's R171?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Surprising news! So last night I decided to remove the battery and have it fully charged since I don't make long trip on my SLK which cause the battery will never be fully charged in the car. I made my own memory saver with a 8 AA battery holder, put in 8 Duracell Ultra power and let it sit in the car overnight(about 20 hours), found out that each of the battery still have 90% of the energy left!! So by calculation I figure the "8 AA Battery holder" can last more than 3 days while the car is in sleeping mode!!

Takes more than 10 hours to fully charge a battery already with 55% charge..

Ctek 3300

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Interesting - I just hook my trickle charger up without removing the battery from the car. Keeps it nicely topped up!

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Same here The Ctek connection is permanent to the battery and I just plug in when I leave it parked on the drive for any time. I didnt experience any problems when I had the battery disconnected for a day. Just reset the windows and the clock

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,443 Posts
Why are you removing the battery from the car to charge it, You can charge it in the car an d better yet get a battery tender and hook it up like others mention above and it will stay fully charged all the time while it is parked for weeks or months.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why are you removing the battery from the car to charge it, You can charge it in the car an d better yet get a battery tender and hook it up like others mention above and it will stay fully charged all the time while it is parked for weeks or months.
I agree with you, but since I have no access to AC power from my covered parking, this will be the best alternative. Bad news here, got it fully charged last night reading 12.59V, check it this morning 12.33V.. the battery has only 21,000 miles on it and six year old.. strange. :confused:

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
there will be a small amount of drain when parked. I suggest you might invest in a solar panel to keep a trickle charge BUT dont connect it to the auxillary/ cigarette socket as thats not powered with the ignition off. attach it direct to the battery

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there will be a small amount of drain when parked. I suggest you might invest in a solar panel to keep a trickle charge BUT dont connect it to the auxillary/ cigarette socket as thats not powered with the ignition off. attach it direct to the battery
Got it! Just check it again before driving to work, due to the rise in temperature, the voltage back to 12.59 again, guess I worry too much:tu:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.