Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . . . . to get the right SLK for you?

Yesterday I got up at 4AM to travel to the airport to get a flight from Belfast, Northern Ireland to Birmingham, England before driving 300 miles to catch a ferry from Cairnryan in Scotland back to Belfast, arriving home at 11PM. So 19 hours in total, with plenty of breaks including sleep on both the plane and the boat (before I get flamed for wreckless driving). And the reason was to pick up my new (to me) SLK 250CDI Carbon Look Edition. There were only 49 of these sold in the UK so they are harder to come by. It was also an excellent way to get to know, and fall in love with, my SLK. The drive was two thirds motorway and one third interesting backroads so plenty of opportunity to discover everything that makes this a great car. The final surprise was an average fuel consumption of nearly 59mpg (this converts to 49mpg for our U.S. members), averaging 47mph over six and a bit hours.

Picture of trip computer attached. Pictures of the car to follow once I have properly cleaned it.

So a flight,300 mile drive, and car ferry covering 3 countries in a day to pick up my SLK. How far would (did) you go?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,807 Posts
I couldn't pick it up but mine was shipped from San Francisco, CA to Tampa, FL, 2900 miles!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Technicality

I couldn't pick it up but mine was shipped from San Francisco, CA to Tampa, FL, 2900 miles!
Ok Mileagewise that is extremely impressive and probably won't be bettered. However, technically, you didn't have to go very far at all as all you had to do was wait for it to arrive . . . . . . . . . (I am secretly impressed by your style though :smile:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought m SLK200 in Itzehoe Germany.
I live in Denmark on the island called Aeroe in the south of Denmark and planned to go by ferry from Aeroe to the island Als and then by bus to Flensburg and from there by train to Itzehoe to pick up my SLK.
But on the morningferry from Aeroe I met a couple that had been on Aeroe to get married and I asked them if I could get a lift to the border between Denmark and Germany. No problem. They would be picked up by a driver when the ferry arrived at Fynshav on Als.
The driver was hired to drive the newmarried couple to the airport of Hamburg and the driver informed me, that I was welcome to drive with him and the newmarried couple to Hamburg Airport and from there he would drive back exactly to Itzehoe, where he had his home.
So far so good, and when we arrived to Itzehoe, he asked where I had to pick up my SLK. It shoved up to be less than half a mile from his home so he drove me right to the house, where my SLK should be picked up.
From there I had about 200 km back to the ferry on Als and after 1 hour with the ferry I was back on Aeroe with my SLK and had only 16 km back to my location on Aeroe in Aeroeskoebing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought m SLK200 in Itzehoe Germany.
I live in Denmark on the island called Aeroe in the south of Denmark and planned to go by ferry from Aeroe to the island Als and then by bus to Flensburg and from there by train to Itzehoe to pick up my SLK.
But on the morningferry from Aeroe I met a couple that had been on Aeroe to get married and I asked them if I could get a lift to the border between Denmark and Germany. No problem. They would be picked up by a driver when the ferry arrived at Fynshav on Als.
The driver was hired to drive the newmarried couple to the airport of Hamburg and the driver informed me, that I was welcome to drive with him and the newmarried couple to Hamburg Airport and from there he would drive back exactly to Itzehoe, where he had his home.
So far so good, and when we arrived to Itzehoe, he asked where I had to pick up my SLK. It shoved up to be less than half a mile from his home so he drove me right to the house, where my SLK should be picked up.
From there I had about 200 km back to the ferry on Als and after 1 hour with the ferry I was back on Aeroe with my SLK and had only 16 km back to my location on Aeroe in Aeroeskoebing.

Best adventure yet . . . . . Skål

1 - 20 of 61 Posts