Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have 2 'keys' for my R170, both with new batteries, but they only work remotely about 10ft (3m) or less away from the car. I would love to increase this distance to control my SmartTop from slightly further away. My Honda CRV unlock works from about 30ft (10m). :surprise:

Can anyone help please? :nerd:
What is the usual distance?
Can it be increased?

I really don't want the expense of new keys, but something that I can do for a small outlay is possible. :smile:

Many Thanks
Moggins

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,480 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine is pathetic also. About 10 to 15 feet range. Have to be almost right next to it to confirm the doors are locked, and at that point I can just look I'm so close. Pretty pathetic.

My pathfinder remote works from a good 75 feet away anywhere in my house. I love being able to just push a button, hear a chirp and know my truck is locked.

·
96,480 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
RF range

Here in New Zealand we have many Japanese import SLK230's. The Japanese spec vehicles have a specific 'short range remote' that only works from about 3m. I don't know if it's actually the remote ,or the receiver that's been 'nobbled', but I'd love to know how to 'undo' that spec.

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
800 Posts
mine is smooth-skinned

and has no visible antenna. Radio reception can be a bit ropey in the valleys around here. I'm assuming my receiver is somewhere in the bowels of the boot. Any hope for me? ( my remote works from about 10 metres, or 1 metre, depending on how it feels, and angle of approach)
:surprise:

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,048 Posts

·
96,480 Posts
not forehead, chin!

·
96,480 Posts
Back on thread topic please

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Hold the remote to your forehead....it DOUBLES the range!
No kidding,try it.
not forehead, chin!
If you hold the remote higher up (eye level) it works at a greater distance, as opposed to waist level (against your butt)

Do a test, it won't cost you anything :grin:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just found this...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1280781-slk-radio-aerial-connection.html

I guess that the reason it's so bad is that it needs an active booster to get decent reception, but this is only on when the radio is on. Hence the rubbish operating distance. I'm going to try and find the feed to the radio and take a screened cable to the "parcel shelf" then add a dual 75mm twisted cable to act as a range improver, I may even cut the circuit when the radio is on, with a simple relay, if the radio objects. BUT, I won't have time to look at it for at least 2 weeks!

When I have any news I will post it here...

BTW - I went to Mercedes Benz World at Brooklands today. HIGHLY recommended! The best free day out in the home counties (UK), Get there before 13:00 to see the Silver Arrows, great fun!! The staff are all lovely and the exploded F1 car is the 9th wonder of the world!

Best Regards
Moggins

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.