Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With winter becoming a distant reminder and an upcoming threat I'm left making preparations to store my SLK for the winter. It will be stored in my heated garage. I plan on getting a battery tender for it as well.

I'm wondering what the other Canadians do with their SLK for the winter?

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
OK, not Canadia, but I change my oil, blow the tyres up to near the max pressure written on the sidewalls of the tyre, put a battery tender on it, leave it in gear with the handbrake off and put a cover on it.

Done this for a few years now, and not had a problem yet.

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
My SLK spends its winter time driving through the slush and snow and dirt and salt. :)

It likes summer better.

(I'm not Canadian, but live near Niagara Falls and the border.)

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
OK, not Canadia, but I change my oil, blow the tyres up to near the max pressure written on the sidewalls of the tyre, put a battery tender on it, leave it in gear with the handbrake off and put a cover on it.

Done this for a few years now, and not had a problem yet.
Not Canadian but close to them..... Add to quote above - full tank of gas (some people include an additive to prevent gas from going bad - I have not done this). Others have suggested having the tires on plywood rather than cement to help prevent "flat spots".

Not sure why it should be left in gear? Good suggestion re the handbrake! Thanks.

·
Founding member #7
2,156 Posts
Not sure why it should be left in gear? Good suggestion re the handbrake! Thanks.
I'm guessing that helps keep it from rolling away since the handbrake is off :)

Me, I'd probably shove a 2x4 behind a tire also. But it depends on how sloped the garage is I guess.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
full tank of gas
I know what you mean, but it's a sealed plastic tank, so (UK) petrol does not go 'bad' in it.

Others have suggested having the tires on plywood rather than cement to help prevent "flat spots".
Not sure about the plywood - I have Rhinofloor(vinyl) on my floor, but super-inflating the tyres seems to stop any flatspots.

Leaving the handbrake off stops the pads from sticking, leaving it in gear stops it rolling forward and knocking a bike over if another bike falls over and hit's the back :):)

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I lift the car up a little, Just to get some of the weight off the suspension.
* But I do that all year round.
I have to drive my car at least once a month, You guys no how therapeutic that can be.
I like to keep the trunk open sometimes, Just that no condensation builds up. *Heated garage

·
Registered
186 Posts
I store mine away for the winter. I have other cars to drive. It's in a heated storage facility.

Cheers!

Dang

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Living in central Virginia, the winters are fairly mild with very little snow. My SLK 55 is like a fire truck, stored in the garage, always clean, and ready to go. It's not a daily driver and I get as much driving time in the winter as the summer. But since I try to keep it clean, I don't drive it in the rain.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i store my 300zx last year for the winter. I did nothing but a full tank of gas. No plywood, didn't raise it, didn't inflate the tires... etc. just started her up once every two weeks for about 30 mins. If the roads permitted, did a couple of spins around the block.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I probably shouldn't post, not being Canada.

For me, with warm summers, winter is about the only time I can put the top down on SLK. I quite like them, for that reason. :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts