Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How do you treat a red car

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  randombloke 
#1 ·
My car is red solid lacquer. How do you best to get the paint to shine?
I've heard that red paint on a car is hard to keep nice

#7 ·
The red pigments used in many red paints were historically more affected by UV radiation than other colours. Even on the older paints, clear coats or even waxes with UV filters mitigated the problem. I had a Porsche in Gurads Red which after a few years of polishing would adopt a pinkish hue in the summer. I used Crystalglo acrylic polymer to restore it, but it needed repeated applications. I'm fairly certain that modern paint formulations have mainly overcome this problem - but the legend persists. Either way, if your clearcoat is intact, and you use a good quality wax/polymer finishing product, I doubt you'll have any problems.

#9 ·
Moving to the 'caring for your Slk' section.

#10 ·
Everyone uses a different product. However, you do not have to break the bank to make your slk's finish look like gloss. This product produced a great finish for bella and it can be found most places for under $25US.

Meguiars brilliant solutions paint restoration kit

#13 ·
I have an 85 red corvette so 28 years? that looks like new. Never used a machine to polish so no swirls etc. and leaves clearcoat intact. I am not fanatical about washing etc. but:

Always garage kept (home and work) other than 100,000 miles driving.
Hand wash: its been through an automatic car wash maybe 3-4 times.
Hose off as much dirt as possible.
Wash with a mild soap. I use Meguiars or Simoniz
Wax with an easy to use wax so it doesn't become too much work. I use Meguiars liquid wax. I didn't use any paint cleaners/sealers/treatments as I think they may actually damage the clearcoat.
Once a year I claybared it using a detailing spray but made sure it was well washed after.

Washing schedule was dictated by: any birdcrap, treesap or tar or once a month.

I think using products that makes the paint "extra" shiny may eventually damage the car as they probably negatively affect the clearcoat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.