Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search and can't find the answer. The roof won't operate on my 98 SLK 230. I left the car for a few months and the battery discharged and the roof won't operate. I have re-charged the battery fully. I can hear the motors working if I press the roof switch as if the put the roof up, but not down. I'm told it could be that the windows and roof need re-synchronising. Please could someone tell me how to do this. Thank you very much in advance for any replies.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Info for an R171.

To "sync" windows raise them with the switch with top closed and hold button depressed for two seconds after the window has fully raised.

I have never heard about syncing windows with the roof.

You may also want to look at the "Battery Connection Checklist" on the forum.

You may also want to "reboot" your car again, as Jeff says by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and reconnecting. (Now I sound just like a Computer Support Person. :))

Let us know what you find out.

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Registered
393 Posts
. . . I'm told it could be that the windows and roof need re-synchronising. . . .
Who said this? I don't believe it is a true statement. (And I've had the entire hydraulic system out of my car and back in over the last year. I've also had it working in all kinds of crazy ways, doors open, cylinders in the trunk, etc. Search on my name and you'll find my pictures.) You should be able to operate the roof with the door windows up or down. (I'm not sure about "half" up though.) We have no control over the rear quarter windows, (wish we did!) so those shouldn't be a problem unless a switch/motor is bad. (They are a bit tough to fake out . . . )

I would do these in this order:

1) Make sure there is enough oil in the plastic tank. !!!! Particularly if you've really let it totally sit that long. (Also make sure that the pressure relief screw on the pump is screwed in!)

2) I've never had a switch not working, though I would suspect that if the trunk curtain switch wasn't made, you would get a red flash on the main switch and then nothing; not, not having the motor/drive running but still not moving anything. This is an easier switch to get too though, so make sure that it is being actuated. (i.e. that the curtain rod is really down and properly against the switch.)

3) Take the rear pillar covers off and make sure that the catches are being pulled to allow the roof hinge to pivot. Those catches do stick.

4) Manually open the latches, take out the headliner and see if the latch cylinder is fully opening the latches. If the latches don't open, the roof isn't going to open.

There are several micro switches in this system but I have never seen one that really failed. Since your system is "running" I wouldn't suspect that, but my experience in trouble shooting is mostly mechanical. I have heard of a lot of broken wires though. That would be the next possibility.

Give us some further feedback if you can.

Good luck!

:Beer:

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,524 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.