Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen videos of the location of the RHD versions and I even know where it is on mine, but instead of it being held on by the two little metal snap locks, mine is higher up towards the engine and is held on by these clamps, not hose clamps but some kind of ring lock. Its hard to explain. I will try to get a picture but do you need some special tool? My maf has oil in it for sure and its probably what is triggering my code.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,000 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,172 Posts
Discovered the same issue when I tried playing with our 2004 230.

Pain in the ....

Ended up getting our local garage to sort as the clips had also rotated to a point that I couldn't get at the darn things.

Rest of the diy is accurate.

You may still find it worth taking the lower tubing off though.
That oil can pool down there.
You'll no sooner have it running and the residue in the pipework will beggar it again.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The MAF on yours is on top of the motor. I think it was moved up there in 2003 to provide easier access. I'm not sure what clamps your talking about. I'll take a look at mine tonight and post some photos. When I changed mine it too about 10 mins as I recall.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have seen videos of the location of the RHD versions and I even know where it is on mine, but instead of it being held on by the two little metal snap locks, mine is higher up towards the engine and is held on by these clamps, not hose clamps but some kind of ring lock. Its hard to explain. I will try to get a picture but do you need some special tool? My maf has oil in it for sure and its probably what is triggering my code.
You should have those same two snap clips (they're just like the ones on the filter box) in the same place as what is shown in the DIY photos. They hold the tube. The clamp rings can be gotten off by using a pair of vice grip pliers. Set them so they lock closed when you squeeze the clamp. Open the one closest to the MAF, then you can set the vice grips with the clamp in them on the shock tower. Be careful not to let the clamp go because it will close up smaller than the rubber tube and the tabs may be too far apart to get the pliers back on easily. The MAF and the tube should come out. You may have to "vigglit" a bit. There are 2 torx bit screws that hold the MAF to the plastic tube. (I think they're a T-25) Also, watch out for the o ring when you pull the tube off the intercooler and when you take the MAF off of the tube. Clean the tube really good along with the MAF, the short tube going to the throttle body and get as far down into the intercooler as you can with a rag to get the oil out of it. Voice of experience.:wink: I have been doing this fairly regularly the past few weeks trying to clear up a check engine light issue. (turns out it really WAS a bad O2 sensor!) Make sure you disconnect the plug going to the MAF. It is on the bottom of it right next to the shock tower. It will help if you remove the front intake dress-up cover. It just pops off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts