Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to get a little fatigued answering the same question whenever I enter or exit Challenge in public! A friendly grin or laugh usually proceeds the inevitable question......"How do you get into that thing?" or "How do you get out of that thing?" This usually comes after watching my patented technique, so it is no big mystery at that point! I don't want to seem flippant or smug but holding back on some responses has become especially difficult.

I am 6'4" and 325 pounds but that's never been a problem. I owned a VW and an Alfa Spyder in my youth. Not only could I ingress and egress with ease, but I could get the job done too if you know what I mean. Those were the good old days, but I digress. Any of you have a similar problem?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,464 Posts

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Not a problem in the UK - it's actually not a small car (in comparison to the States ), but left leg in 1st (remember, our cars are set up for driving on the correct side of the road!! ), then sit down, then right leg in. Only problem is, as I get older, the right leg bit occasionally needs a helping hand :eek:

·
96,464 Posts
Craige, Dukes of Hazzard is through the window, not through the roof. :D

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Two methods I use: One, sit down sideways facing out, making sure to clear the seat's torso bolster to keep from putting excess wear on the leather. Then both legs up, swing in, and buckle up. Two, right leg in, then bend and twist to sit down avoiding the bolster, then left leg in and buckle up.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,124 Posts
I've posted this before
butt goes in first
then i click my heels to ensure no excess dirt accompanies my feet
swing those legs in
close door

http://www.slkworld.com/caring-your-slk/31596-keeping-dirt-out-carpet.html
A lady should back- in gracefully, settling herself gently onto the seat.. with both legs together, feet on or towards the ground. Then with skirt held decorously in place with one hand, she slowly swings her legs (knees together as much as possible) into the car, steadying herself with the free hand... maintaining her dignity at all times 0:)

Me ?? Well I do back- in and settle slowly.... then it all goes haywire...as I scrabble with my handbag and other important bits and pieces... but finally I do a quick leg-flip ... hopefully in a sufficiently decorous manner !. :wink::wink:

Stella

·
96,464 Posts
I do that only when I wear a dress/skirt or my kilts
otherwise I lean my head into the seat and raise my butt in the air and pirouette to the right wiping the inside windshield on my pass through. :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I tend to fall in derriere first like the proverbial sack o' spuds - always with a look of surprise as remember, all too late, just how damn low I have my seat.

Then its left leg in followed by huffing and puffing to get the other to follow.

Decanting is more like the 'Jeremy Clarkson removal from Ford GT on all fours' routine.

... and I love it :)

·
Air Suspension Manager
631 Posts
I usually throw myself in :)
I grap the A pillar from outside and swing in. Do the same when go out.
Pulling yourself is always easy than to standing up IMO :)

·
96,464 Posts
Grab A pillar? oh no! now you have to redetail it!

·
Air Suspension Manager
631 Posts
Grab A pillar? oh no! now you have to redetail it!
You are right. I usually leave fingerprints :)
But since I have palladium gray finger prints, İt is really difficult to see them >:D

·
Registered Looking for an SLK
597 Posts
When you park in the U.K. you have to get into the car any way you can. Parking spaces here leave about 12 inches between each car. Owning a nice car and parking it away from your house requires a detailed pre-planning exercise.
A absolute pain I have short legs so seat is quite far forward in uk the parking spaces are awful and they gonna change the spacing making them even smaller. I so wish the easy entry on my seat worked because in tight spaces I have terrible trouble getting in and out of the car.

Dave

·
Registered
192 Posts
I tend to fall in derriere first like the proverbial sack o' spuds - always with a look of surprise as remember, all too late, just how damn low I have my seat.

Then its left leg in followed by huffing and puffing to get the other to follow.

Decanting is more like the 'Jeremy Clarkson removal from Ford GT on all fours' routine.

... and I love it :)
......and there goes another heated seat element!!!:laugh:

·
Premium Member
392 Posts

·
Registered 2013 SLK200
628 Posts
Normally I open the door first before attempting ingress or egress. Im only a titch but I always move the seat back all the way getting out and then sort of fall with dignity head first out. I move the seat back to protect the side of the leather seat when getting in. Never really thought much about how I do either, its sort of like walking- it just happens

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Hahaha I'd LOVE to see a compilation video of these techniques ... particularly as a lot seem to involve the head first exit!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.