Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've got the replacement antenna amplifier for my wife's SLK32 AMG.

I am attempting remove the old one and put in the replacement.

First, I disconnected the batteries negative cable.

Then I removed the side panel and then removed the first aid kit.

Next I removed the top piece so I could see into the wheel well a little better.

First I removed the nut holding the amplifier to the side of the sheet metal. I have that nut set aside.

Second I got the connection off that has one plastic clip holding it in place and then you can remove it. I removed the plastic clip and set it aside and removed that cable.

Then I loosened the connector next to it and before I removed it, I figured I would see if I could get the replacement amplifier connected to the first wire I removed.

So I've tried pretty much everything I know to get the first wire put on the replacement antenna amplifier. I don't want to break anything. It goes on a little bit, but I have not felt it drop onto the pin inside the connector

Has any here done this replacement? I could use any suggestions anyone has.

I have searched this site on three different subject matters with no results. I searched Youtube with no results.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to properly remove and replace all four connectors - two on each end.

THX

jim

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,064 Posts
I did this a few weeks ago.

Did the part numbers match exactly? Did you compare them side by side to ensure none of the connectors broke off?

The connectors on these are pretty fragile so you're wise to be cautious.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly the same part numbers. Right down to the Q2 on the side. The part number on both of mine were 170 820 07 89 and I'm assuming the 'Q2' was the quality control sticker.

And this one looked as nice as the one I FINALLY got out.

The reason I got it out was that I FINALLY got the first connector inserted and attached. Then the second one. Then the other two that are on the bottom when mounted in the car.

That's the good news. The bad news is it did NOT make a lick of difference. The GOOD NEWS is I pulled it all apart, swapped the antenna amplifier and put it all back together with basically no issues. And the top still goes down and back up, just like it is supposed too.

All in all a few hours in a 95+ degree garage (with a large fan keeping me cool) and I now know how to put in an antenna amplifier in a R170...

We even double checked the cassette player and it STILL works. I just don't know why I can't get the radio to work.

Ah well. On to a new radio itself. I'm pretty exhausted so I'll post a few pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
80 Posts
volts

I have this same fault on mine, you need to have 12volts on the live wire, which is feed from the head unit (blue/white wire) it goes direct to the amplifier. I have 12 volts then for no apparent reason it drops to 0.so no radio, I am thinking of taking a feed from the 12volt acc wire to the amp to power it up.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pictures as promised

this first picture is of the original antenna amplifier that I had removed one of the two wires

DSCN1793.jpg

this one is the replacement antenna amplifier with the two wires put on

DSCN1795.jpg

the two wires mounted on the bottom were easily removed AND replaced

yet after doing all that, the radio still does not work - so hopefully a replacement radio will resolve the issue

I will report back when we order and receive it. It's basically plug and play, so that swap should be an easy one - but we will see

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.