Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this SLK 320 last night an hour away from where I live. It has top problems. It was sort of working when I was looking at it, but slowly got worse. Long story short, my friend and I had to manually put the top up when we got caught in some rain on the drive home. Somehow in the haste to get it up, we got the side flaps of the hat shelf caught up and now they are stuck folded up instead of where they're supposed to be with the top up. This is making it so the top can not be moved. At all. It will not fold or move backward.

What in the world can I do to fix this? I've removed all the trunk trim and have access to the bottom of the hat shelf. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Pics attached.

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,413 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JBanks - Thanks, I appreciate your reply....but I have poured over all of that information for the last 12 hours. No help. I'm convinced the problem with top *currently* not moving is because of the way the parcel shelf flaps are sitting. All of that info I'm sure will be invaluable when I can get the top moving again and am ready to actually fix it. It won't move at all currently. I have loosened the pressure screw on the hydraulic motor, opened the trunk manually, and go to lift the top, it just lifts a little off the windshield, but will NOT fold where top meets rear windshield.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,413 Posts
Well the experts are drunk right now so be patient.
So in the meantime, I need you to take about 30 seconds and let us know some info for your profile.

Also take a moment to post an intro thread in the new member introduce yourself section

then I can stop nagging you

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,182 Posts
Corner flaps change from speakers

I don't think it's your corner flaps (the ears) causing your problem. That's how mine sit with the roof up, then they drop back to level when the roof is in the boot.

Welcome to the group from the UK.

Was going to add photo but can't get enough light. I have checked though and both corner flaps sit upright. (2004 SLK230K).

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,182 Posts
Please don't shout if you know this, but it is something that get's new owners.

There is what looks like a blind in the boot (pulls towards the back of the car).
It prevents the roof from going open top if you have any parcels that are sitting in the area it folds back into.
When the blind is in it's hook a switch allows the roof to operate.

Is that in place?

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Hi Tusla! Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Avel Du. I do not think the hat shelf is keeping your top from opening. Have your rear windows rolled down? Did you unlock the latch ALL the way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
As others have said, those "flaps" stay up when the top is up and they lay flat when the top is down.

Is the "luggage cover" retracted or extended? (see photo)

What happens when you push the button back to lower the top?

Does the light flash or stay a solid red?

Do the windows lower?

Do you hear the pump running?

Have you visually inspected the pump to check the fluid level?

Do you know if any of the rams (hydraulic cylinders) have been rebuilt? They can/do/will fail.

Tim

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.