Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately my 98 SLK230 has been sitting in my garage for far too long. Now I need to drain the fuel tank and add fresh fuel so it doesn't become just a boat anchor. What's the easiest way to do this?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,372 Posts
moving from diy to r170 general discussion

the diy section is for established diy procedures that are completed.

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.

If you wish to become PM (Private Message)- capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

New members and guests should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under quick links when you leave.

Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK World Forum

Thank you,
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
Registered
170 Posts
You should be able to get most of the old gas out with a siphon hose. Change the fuel filter after your first tank of new gas! Good luck.

·
Banned
87 Posts
You should be able to pump it all out just by remove the line from the tank to the fuel filter then with ignition on.
Don't be disconnecting any fuel lines and turning on the ignition.

In fact, don't touch or disconnect anything unless you are doing something minor like changing a fuel filter.

Gas that has sat in the tank over the winter won't hurt anything. Now if it sat in the tank for a couple of years, it might be a problem, but even then I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I agree - fill it up and drive it. How long has it been sitting - months, years...? That you never mentioned.

Reactions: dcsawyers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the instruction.

The gas in the tank is about 5 yrs old now. I'll give these suggestions a try and see what works. Thanks again.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Automotive machinery doesn't like to sit for such long periods of time without use. The worst thing for any car is to sit for such a long time without being prepped for storage.

Put a few gallons of fresh fuel in, add some fuel stabilizer or other additive to soak up water in the fuel, and run it until the exhaust system is thoroughly warmed up through and through to burn off condensation. Then change the fuel and other filters, change the engine oil and filter ... check the condition of the belts, brake lines, etc etc.

A lot of the work I've put into my recently purchased 2000 SLK is to bring it back to daily service from sitting for the eight months since it was repossessed by the bank (and a couple of things that are just natural age related from being 12 years old and 123K miles on the clock ...).

·
Registered
116 Posts
agreed

Don't drain the fuel, just do what others suggested. Put some stabilizer (or maybe the HEAT that gets the water out) top it off with fresh stuff and just keep adding a few gallons as you drive it.

Or else, I suppose, just disconnect the fuel filter while it's still pressureized (wear googles!) and drain it that way? Just thinking out loud.l

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.