Mercedes SLK World banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts
SLKWorld started in June 2006 as a "migration" when ads and pop-ups were added to another forum. One of the members from that forum stated he owns a web hosting facility, so he started SLKWorld (mainly for the SLK) when most stated they would change or "migrate". The first few years were difficult because of cost needed to maintain the site and members voluntarily sent funds to help keep the site alive. It was then later sold to Ken and from there sold to its current owners.

Close enough.

Thanks for bumping makes very interesting reading.

And i would have to agree that in my short time here everyone has been so ..(nice) :).

I also have been involved in other car and not car forums and you always seem to come across some people who are just ... difficuilt, not the case here. Hope to be around for sometime.

Thanks to everyone involved love your work.

I do think @etyu provided some what of a account of Slkworld being he was the 2nd member of this forum.

Though to be totally accurate it was due to a moderator on another not so busy slk section of a Mercedes forum or at least not so busy after this site was founded.

I was discussing some mods to my SLK with @alroumi when we were reprimanded by a moderator for discussing a company that was in direct competition with one of their site sponsors, and was told we could not discuss that company on that forum. And the moderator said if I did not like it, I would go start my own forum. So I took his advice and slkworld was born. It was a difficult first year and without all of the dedicated members that joined the site it grew quickly and this was all done without advertising, it was funded by the members, I can think of quite a few especially Sully007 that stepped up especially after my days of owning a slk for reasons I will not go into. But it was the members as a whole that makes slkworld the best forum on the web for slk’s.

The success of this site is because of the great members and Im proud to say I was a part of this.

I know it’s not a user name that many of my old friends recognize but I’m sure you all know who I am. My previous user name is unavailable (maybe I can get it back, will have to see what the mods can do about that)

Not mods...contact the administrator jbanks15 :D

I remember donating $$$

i had a 2005 slk 350 :D

I belong to a number of fora (or is it forums, I'm never sure) and would offer this;

SLK World feels very much like a teenage, slightly bouncy TR Register, meant in the nicest possible way.
The Register has an older demographic and by definition, a much smaller membership, but, there are similarities
A place for
- your specific mark
- of subject gossip and chatter
- buying and selling

But, mostly, it's the willingness to help and the lack of a poor attitude

I do think @etyu provided some what of a account of Slkworld being he was the 2nd member of this forum.

Though to be totally accurate it was due to a moderator on another not so busy slk section of a Mercedes forum or at least not so busy after this site was founded.

I was discussing some mods to my SLK with @alroumi when we were reprimanded by a moderator for discussing a company that was in direct competition with one of their site sponsors, and was told we could not discuss that company on that forum. And the moderator said if I did not like it, I would go start my own forum. So I took his advice and slkworld was born. It was a difficult first year and without all of the dedicated members that joined the site it grew quickly and this was all done without advertising, it was funded by the members, I can think of quite a few especially Sully007 that stepped up especially after my days of owning a slk for reasons I will not go into. But it was the members as a whole that makes slkworld the best forum on the web for slk’s.

The success of this site is because of the great members and Im proud to say I was a part of this.

I know it’s not a user name that many of my old friends recognize but I’m sure you all know who I am. My previous user name is unavailable (maybe I can get it back, will have to see what the mods can do about that)

Hello there,

a decade later I am still here along with my SLK55 :smile:

Hi Bill!
Was I one of the mods? I remember I had to join in Secret because I was still a mod on that other board...HAHAHA... How have you been doing? What do you drive/play with now? Still Gassing? :D
Good to see a lot of the old members still around!

I would like to add my thanks to the forum and the moderators. I became a member two years before I bought my car. It was a fantastic place to research my next car and determine all the things to look out for. I was already an MB owner with a C200 however wanted to understand everything I could about the SLK. Great advise from JB on a number of points when looking at SLK55’s meant I was able to find a really good example and have never looked back. I am a purist and want to keep my car completely original however I have used the forum to assist on a few small changes like paddles and gear knob. I love the fact that you can be talking to SLK owners from across the world. Through the forum I have met some other SLK owners in my own area and we enjoy many great runs and times together through our passion for SLK’s. Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to add my thanks to the forum and the moderators. I became a member two years before I bought my car. It was a fantastic place to research my next car and determine all the things to look out for. I was already an MB owner with a C200 however wanted to understand everything I could about the SLK. Great advise from JB on a number of points when looking at SLK55’s meant I was able to find a really good example and have never looked back. I am a purist and want to keep my car completely original however I have used the forum to assist on a few small changes like paddles and gear knob. I love the fact that you can be talking to SLK owners from across the world. Through the forum I have met some other SLK owners in my own area and we enjoy many great runs and times together through our passion for SLK’s. Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the kind words! :D
I thought about moving your thread here:

http://www.slkworld.com/off-topic/211241-i-want-thank-everyone.html

Having read through this entire thread, I must echo many of the previous comments. I have found SLKWorld welcoming, friendly, and free of the divisiveness that is found in many forums. The information available has help guide several maintenance decisions I have made since I acquired La Bête.

Thanks to everyone who supports SLKWorld with their experience, their freely and cheerfully given advice, and their love for these cars.

v/r Jeff

61 - 80 of 105 Posts