Mercedes SLK World banner

How did SLKWorld begin?

27K views 104 replies 51 participants last post by  jbanks15 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was just "visiting" with Jeff via p.m. about a list of "The Most Repetitious Topics Asked Over The Years" when it led to another conversation of "How This Forum Began".

Jeff respectfully said that I should ask Woolly as "He was the founder of this forum" and Jeff was a founding "member" from day #1 .

Jeff edit: Woolly has passed...

Mercedes SLK World

Wow, how do you happen to stumble upon a forum on its first day of inception? As well, how the heck do you even begin a forum that has evolved into what is the "Best" automobile forum in the Universe!

I, for one, want to hear (or read :D) the story!

ENLIGHTEN US......PLEASE!!!

#3 ·
Like minded people will always find a way of getting together, where ever they are ...

We're magnetic ...!

And I for one am glad to have found 'us' and joined up .....

Cheers
Sean

#7 ·
SLKWorld started in June 2006 as a "migration" when ads and pop-ups were added to another forum. One of the members from that forum stated he owns a web hosting facility, so he started SLKWorld (mainly for the SLK) when most stated they would change or "migrate". The first few years were difficult because of cost needed to maintain the site and members voluntarily sent funds to help keep the site alive. It was then later sold to Ken and from there sold to its current owners.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Most of the early members here were on Benzworld back in the early 2000's (??? ). We found it a bit too generic, so most of the SLK owners migrated to a new forum called 'Pointed3'. That too was starting to become a 'bit fractious', so it was decided to set up an SLK only forum,

At first we didn't think it would work, being a very niche market, but we were proved wrong. One of the early members was hosting the site for us, but ran into strange & serious trouble with MB. He had put NOx on his car, but then suffered a serious non-related problem with it. MB tried to blame his Nox setup, and wouldn't sort his car for him. There was a long process of litigation, which ended with MB buying the car back, on condition that he wouldn't own a 'Benz for the next 10 years - scary????

Obviously, that member lost interest, and as Eddy said, the hosting was taken over by Ken, who also set up SLKStore - 'our' on-site shop.

Both the forum, and the store started going ballistic, but then Ken bought a Volvo????? He lost interest in SLK's, the forum hosting moved to VerticalScope - a Canadian company who host a plethora of automotive (amongst others ) forums, and SLKStore was sold to Roderick. (SLKStore now closed).

Due mostly in part to the calibre of the early members, SLKWorld has been the antithesis to most motoring forums. We try to be polite & friendly to anyone who visits us. Working on the principal that anyone who likes the same car as you do, they can't be all bad (!! ) and there is no room for the histrionics found on a lot of forums.

We tried to make this place somewhere that anyone is happy to join, regardless of age, gender or persuasion. I think, judging by a lot of comments from both new & old members we have succeeded.

We were very lucky that Mr. J Banks decided to join us - he had always been a great contributor to Benzworld, and we were delighted when he signed up to be a member here. With his military background, he soon 'whipped' new members into shape. We decided to set up a 'Ride of the Month' comp, and asked Jeff if he could organise this, and also keep the new members 'on their toes'. We were pleased that JB accepted our offer to be a moderator here, and I think we'd all agree what a sterling job he does.

Shortly afterwards, we decided we need a female 'presence' helping to look after the place. Again we were so lucky finding MK (MaryKay (SimplySLK )) - she stepped seamlessly into the role - always giving her own special viewpoint on any tricky moderation decisions, but also regaling us with the delights of her 'Pic of the Day' thread - always guaranteed to raise a smile.

So, that's a rough picture of who and what SLKWorld is - apart from THE MAJOR factor that makes the forum as good as it is. The members here. In 8 years, (not counting the ubiquitous spammers that we are bound to get, unfortunately ), we have only had to ban 4 members, and moderate less than a handful of posts.

This is a truly great community, and I'd like to personally thank all the members here. (can I go for a pint now? :D ).

#9 ·
Thanks Woolly and Eddy for the 'lowdown'!

#10 ·
^^^ ditto all of the above!

I've said before that I have been a member of a few forums. One of which (that had better remain nameless) I had raised a concern to the moderators about a comment I found to be bordering 'homophobic' and I was told in no uncertain terms it was 'just a bit of banter'. I don't appreciate any kind of discriminatory comments or actions. I pretty soon left the forum and sold the motor.

This sort of comment is never to be found on this forum, thankfully. This is a forum for true SLK car enthusiasts. Decent people only need apply.

Thanks to Wooly, Jeff and MK for all our hard work and dedication that keeps us SLK ers amused, entertained and informed. :tu:

#14 ·
To be determined I guess if you win the Ride of the Month!

#20 ·
Is interesting to note that there is a relatively small core of enthusiasts on the site that are constantly contributing. However, that being said – we also have the outliers that come up with the obscure errata that makes this site truly unique in its breath and depth of information. Please note, I did say relatively small – that does not mean five or six however. It is relatively small when you consider the thousands of members that use this site regularly. Those that contribute know who they are. And to all of you I give my profound thanks and kneel at the feet of the Sensi.

#22 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. Whilst I still consider myself a "new-comer", I guess that based on the total age of the forum I might be considered by others as an "old-timer".

Aside from the very successful base that this forum has to offer, I believe that this community really does possess the "perfect storm". As the moderators have done an unprecedented job in design, format and daily maintenance, the membership demographic (i.e. mature regardless of age and never overly pretentious) makes it an extremely pleasant place to be!

This is my "first-ever" forum of any kind. And while I have always loved my cars, never before has there been the passion that I feel for the SLK. Since SLKWorld, I too have joined other communities (all car related) but every one of them is lacking when compared to this "home base". This, in part, may be why MK has a "wait" on her hands :D (but MK, I've told the wifey about you and your desire to acquire my car in the event that anything ever happens to me).

A sincere Thank You to all the originals and everyone else on this board for becoming part of our "family"! :gh:

#23 ·
This, in part, may be why MK has a "wait" on her hands :D (but MK, I've told the wifey about you and your desire to acquire my car in the event that anything ever happens to me).

A sincere Thank You to all the originals and everyone else on this board for becoming part of our "family"! :gh:
I have all the patience in the world!:burnout:

#28 ·
Since I bought my CTS-V in Jan I have been hanging out on a couple of those forums, one in particular. And, while a majority of the folks are very helpful, there are some that seem just jonesing for an argument. I sit back and read the threads as they progressively spiral downwards and get sick of it after a few minutes. It's like grown adults are in 7th grade once again. There isn't any of that here and I appreciate that fact. I haven't visited as much as I used to as I'm exceptionally busy as of late but when I do pop in the water is always warm and comfortable! Thanks to every single one of you that makes this place what it is.

#29 ·
Ditto to all the positive comments, to all, especially the moderators.
The key I agree and believe, is the sites participant maturity which is a result of the vehicle category, the moderators and high activity contributors.
All other sites I've tried to participate on, I've disconnected due to derogatory comments and lack of activity.
Let's keep up the good work.

#32 ·
The moderators are the best out there, hands down. I did not hesitate to pay for a membership, this forum is that awesome!

There is an unbelievable amount of maturity here, mixed in with the right amount of humor and comradeship. I never imagined that SLK owners are just like their cars, under-stated and fully of class. Every SLK owner I have met, I have liked so far. =)

Thanks again, and keep up the great work.

-K

#34 ·
Bump to the top again. :).
Nah, most of us SLK owner are mature and sensible people, I guess. Not like other sites that can't sway away from talk about their HP n Nm torque. Who they smoke and what they pick up and so on.
We just love our car, get on and have a great time. Just imagine IF ALL OF US can get together with our cars on one parking lot. Boy, that would be a great big BBQ.

#35 ·
And none of the mods here make a dime folks. They do it for the love of the brand and the forum as you can see. If it weren't for them this would not be such a great place to stay connected as owners.

They are a dedicated group and do an outstanding job.