Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There.

When my front tires needed replacing last summer, the ContiSportContact 3 was being phased out, so I went with the new ContiSportContact 5.

Now my rears are gone too (or should say as expected, every 10,000 on the mark). It's going to take longer for me to get ContiSportContact 5 for the rear, about 1 week, whereas I can get ContiSportContact 3 on a great closeout price in 24 hours.

Is it seen as terribly bad to have different tires on the front and rear axle? After all, the tires can't be rotated anyway and the tires are of the same general performance, the 5s simply have slight improvements, 10 percent or smaller in each category according to Conti. Not saying that isn't significant, but I am suggesting both tires are very high quality, so I'm not matching a bad or non-summer tire with a summer tire. They are of similar performance.

I would love to match my front and rear, but being without the car an extra week (tire started to make noise) and saving some on the always good for me CS3s, seemed like a decent route to go?

Thanks.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,011 Posts
I have always had different brands or types of same brand with different model/style on front and rear. no big deal as long as they are the correct sizes.

you don't want different tires/thread patterns on same axle though as the ride will/should be noticeable.

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,030 Posts
Should be fine

I have Conti Sport 5's on the front, and 3's on the rear due to different wear rates / time of replacement...

The rears's will be 5's when they come up for replacement

Reactions: mb911

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all!

Sean, that was certainly my intention too. It would have been sweet to have the CS5s all the way around. Unfortunately, I like to order my tires and haul a wheel and tire down one at a time to the tire shop. These CS5s are proving to be very hard to find outside the dealership in the U.S. Amazon only had a single tire in stock, so that didn't work. I hope the next time I need some, I will be able to find them.

I went ahead and ordered the CS3s, I always liked them, so I'm optimistic. Plus, at approx. $140 each, the closeout price was nice on wallet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.