Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot oil smell in the car when in traffic

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  markgoodl 
#1 ·
Hi
First post so thanks in advance.
just recently purchased a 230 r170. its generally great but I notice that when I'm in traffic with the windows shut etc (it is winter!) and the heater on hot I get a "hot oil" smell from the vents. ive checked everything and I cant see any leaks at all.
Ive cleaned the cabin filter (replacement on its way) and it do have a faulty a/c condenser that will be replaced in February or march, but I'm sure that's not the problem. due to the condenser issue I run the ventilation on ec mode.
Now ive notice that I also get a sort of "anti freeze" taste or smell when the temp is on the middle setting...

Anyone have any ideas ?

thanks
Mark
Manchester UK

#2 ·
#4 ·
#5 ·
#7 ·
Hi
First post so thanks in advance.
just recently purchased a 230 r170. its generally great but I notice that when I'm in traffic with the windows shut etc (it is winter!) and the heater on hot I get a "hot oil" smell from the vents. ive checked everything and I cant see any leaks at all.
Ive cleaned the cabin filter (replacement on its way) and it do have a faulty a/c condenser that will be replaced in February or march, but I'm sure that's not the problem. due to the condenser issue I run the ventilation on ec mode.
Now ive notice that I also get a sort of "anti freeze" taste or smell when the temp is on the middle setting...

Hi don't know all the ins and outs of the SLK yet but recently purchased has it just had a service and spilled a bit of oil down the side of the engine that occasionally drips onto the exhaust or hot engine area. Anti freeze smell, have a look around the water pump see if the seal is leaking when the engine is hot, if its only started any water escaping will turn to vapour
And produce an anti freeze smell, may be miles off but that's where I would start.

Regards Stuart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.