Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've searched the forum for about 15 minutes and not finding any information on my problem. My hood release cable came disconnected from the lever that is inside the car. I can visualize the end of the cable and see that it is not connected to the lever, but not sure how to reset it without taking the under dash off. I was able to use needle nose pliers to grab the cable and pull to release the hood, so know that the cable itself is good to go.
Thanks

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
2,524 Posts
Hi all,
I've searched the forum for about 15 minutes and not finding any information on my problem. My hood release cable came disconnected from the lever that is inside the car. I can visualize the end of the cable and see that it is not connected to the lever, but not sure how to reset it without taking the under dash off. I was able to use needle nose pliers to grab the cable and pull to release the hood, so know that the cable itself is good to go.
Thanks
You will need to remove the cover under the dash (the one that is above the pedals) by taking out three torx head screws along the back side edge (closest to the seat). When you drop that panel down there may be some electrical connections you will need to undo to get the panel out of your way.

Then you will need to remove the sill cover by grabbing it along the inside edge and pulling up. There are only clips holding it in place.

Next is the side kick panel. It has a single torx screw under a small cap about 2" forward of the hood release. With the screw out pull the edge closest to the door opening out of the channel in the cloth covered edging and work the bottom of the kink panel out and away from behind the hood release lever.

A careful inspection of the hood release lever may show that it is broken in some way which allowed the cable to become detached. Cable may not be sliding smoothly in its casing and causing too much force on the lever when opening the hood. So cable and hood release lever may both need replacement.

·
* Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,483 Posts
The procedure outlined above by mchild is illustrated in the SmartTop install DIY, initial few steps, up to the point leading to removal of side kickpanel.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,245 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.