Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody give me an overview how the Pre-FL hood/bonnet latch works? I'm interested in the part(s) attached to the red handle above the drivers feet... The hood on my current project car is closed and can't be opened with the cable.

I'm assuming the central safety latch (that you have to lift up to raise the hood) is unrelated to the red handle and the cable -- true?

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I do not have an in-depth knowledge of how it works but I will tell you what I do know.

There is a cable going from the latch to the red handle. When you pull the red handle, the cable opens the latch in the hood. On El_Toro_33809's SLK230, some of the red handle broke and the cable came out of the red handle. As a result, you could not open the hood. As a temporary work around, you could use vice grips to pull the cable. Eventually, we ended up replacing the handle.

Hopefully, this will prove insightful.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you ichris93,

I had to enlist a helper to get my hood open... while the helper was pushing up and down on the hood, I was pulling and releasing the cable with vice grips. Finally it gave way and released. Although the lever has been missing, I've been able to open and close with vise grips until today. Surely it's an amazing coincidence that the latch started sticking the day I replaced the lever... or am I missing something?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.