Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered 2008 SLK55 AMG
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for the rant. Do bear with me.

I bought a 2004 SLK 200 last year with 11000 miles on the clock. The initial thrill and driving experience was absolutely fantastic. In the last 1.5 years she has done another 12000 miles.

During this time it has been in for

1] one service
2] two MOT
3] Rear tyres
4] Roof not opening - diagnostics
5] Replacement of door control module
6] Steering issue - misdiagnosed and attributed to low oil level in the pump
7] Roof issue: "reset" done: No problem since - fingers crossed.
8] Heavy steering: Diagnosed as steering rack issue and today given for replacement: But hey, told in the afternoon after leaving the car that the part is not there? Now have to take it another time.

I also have a 2001 Honda Accord. I bought it in 2006 with 37000 miles on the clock. It has since done another 30000 miles.

In this time it has had
1] two tyres [punctured]
2] Three services
3] 3 Mot.

The only other trouble was that on one very cold winter morning, it took 2 turns of the key to start. Yes, 2 turns!

I am a bit disillusioned now. I absolutely love the folding metal roof, the sleek looks and the sound of the exhaust [although the engine is puny]. I dont really mind the understeer or the interior trim vibration. My 6 year old absolutely loves the car.

But all these trips back and forth to the dealer is rather tiresome. The Car is rather flimsy.

I have a good mind to part exchange her for a new EVO X.

There , i have said it. Feel rather guilty now!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Don't feel guilty --- cars in general can be a pain at times ---- in the past 14 months I have put 27K miles on with two services and six tires ,two were punctures, and one roof gear failure ---- total time in shop about 8 hours. We used to have a saying don't ever buy a car built on monday or friday ---- maybe you got a monday car and I lucked out and got a wed., one.
Car loyalty is based on experience with the brand --- with your experience I might feel the same way. I hope you get it all sorted out and can start enjoying your SLK.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
I bought my "Certified Used" 2005 in March and put 5,000 miles on so far. It's been in the dealer for 4.5 weeks out of the 7 months we've owned it.

Here's my list:

1) Headlights replaced
2) Rear View Mirror replaced
3) Some internal radio part replaced (didn't fix problem)
4) Battery and Alternator part replaced
5) Trunk seals replaced and roof realigned to fix water leak
6) Noise canceling mic for phone installed / replaced

7) Constant squeak / rattle from the passenger vent, waiting for a part
8) Roof extreme rattles at low speeds when humid or after rain, lubricated once at dealer, but still does it.
9) iPod volume low / doesn't update / respond to controls when switching between SAT and iPod.

7,8 & 9 will be fixed next when the parts comes in. I'm sure they'll have to keep it at least a couple days. No same day turn around it appears.

I also apparently bent several of my wheels when I hit a pot hole at the airport, it's causing vibration. This was entirely my fault though.

I have had a string of bad luck with German cars; BMW 3 series, Audi TT, and now SLK. Haven't had many issues with my Japanese car, Infiniti FX45.

I still like the car, but have a constant feeling something else will fail. I'm probably not keeping it past the warranty expiration, but there is nothing else I would want to replace it. Maybe an SL55 in a couple years.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Sorry to hear guys. Although I have only owned my SLK for 2500 Miles and about 4 months I have only had it in to the dealer for Service D which took a few hours I guess (dropped it off before work and picked it up in the afternoon).

So far no problems and I love the car. Hopefully this continues and I don't experience similar problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Now you guys have me worried. I've never owned any Mercedes before this year.

Mine has only been in the shop once. I left it for two weeks while I took an overseas trip so they could install a K40 Calibre.

I would dread that kind of service record. The dealership is 91 miles away!

Owned: 2 months
Mileage: 3K
New License Plate: ROAR

Dave ~

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I have a Honda CRV and its has been great compared to my two Mercedes cars.

In my opinion the Mercedes is a good second car. The quality does seem to be a bit weak in many areas. I trust the reliablity of the Honda for long trips. However I love the Benz's. They can try your patience and occasionally beat your wallet up pretty good. However they are not as bad as fixing some of the Jaguars.

I think the SLK is fun to drive as long as its not to the service shop!!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,480 Posts
fyi.......original post and last reply almost 5 years old.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
You are right, John.
Why people wants to do this kind of thing, i don't know.

I got 3 Mercedes at home, all of them are great. Love it to bits. The only money l spend on it are the services.

·
Registered
351 Posts
fyi.......original post and last reply almost 5 years old.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
That is what happens when people follow your advice to use the "search" function. Also important to note however - that the site contains a huge knowledge base that has been built over the years.

I like to see old threads revived and updated with current comments.. it makes finding information easier if it stays in fewer places.

FWIW,
Carl B.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,480 Posts
We encourage people to use the search function. My comment was to alert the 'searcher'/poster and the followup readers that if an answer is expected on, in this case a 5 year old post, they may be waiting a long time if the original poster or followup poster has moved on (sold car, etc)

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts
Thanks for the date notification. I rarely check the thread date and a bit embarrassing when posting a response. I notice nakulan7 still posts so perhaps he/she can update this thread?

Gordon

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I like to see a good necro-bump....

Ram has indeed moved on...... to a 350... R)

As for 200's, had ours for 5-years and 50,000 miles in that time it's had:
5x Annual service
3x MOT
1x Headlamp bulb
3x Pairs of rear tyres (4x including the originals)
1x Pair of front tyres (2x including originals)
1x Pair of front brake rotors and set of pads (this year)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.