Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a post some time back about someone on this forum making a windscreen out of plastic or lexan. Has anyone actually made one? It would seem to be fairly simple to do if you had a pattern. Lexan or plexiglas is easy to cut and it would be a lot less expensive than the OEM windblocker.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,463 Posts
i saw that post also. try a search top right

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,445 Posts
A week ago a person posted he was looking for some one with a 171 he could use to make a sample that he could start selling on the internet. I have contacted him and arranged to meet him in October. PM me if you are interested in how this works out. He makes them for the 170, Crossfire and other two seater convertiables and sells them on Ebay and his website. Have not seen any of his work other than on the internet.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,468 Posts
I bought one today brand new for my r170 for $75.00 brand new.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If someone that has one would post a pic or diagram with measurements I would really appreciate it. Think I could make one out of lexan I have in my shop. Think it would be worth a try anyway. Thanks.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,445 Posts
Have you tried to make a pattern out of cardboard and then use that to make the real one. There was a post a long time ago where a person did that.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I bought one on eBay from WindBlox for my SLK280. He has two versions, one is plexiglass and the other is Lexan. I got the Lexan.

No complaints except that it must be strapped on with velcro. It costs is much less than any other options.

It is still holding up well and very strong..........

Saw a post some time back about someone on this forum making a windscreen out of plastic or lexan. Has anyone actually made one? It would seem to be fairly simple to do if you had a pattern. Lexan or plexiglas is easy to cut and it would be a lot less expensive than the OEM windblocker.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,258 Posts
A member from my Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts Car Club makes his own outta plexiglass & velcro (Retired engineer) that are real cool under $100.00. Don Owen [email protected] I might have to figure out how to market these!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.