Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Interesting to see how they made Le Mans and other Race movies since back than we had no digital cameras the size of a beer cap.:smile::smile:

If there is one thing any car enthusiast loves outside of driving or working on their car, it is watching cars on film. While we marvel at smooth tracking shots, driver’s eye views, and drone footage we must remember that it wasn’t always this easy. Capturing the action was once almost as dangerous, if not more so, than the racing itself.

Nowadays, with the advent of the high performance SUV, high speed filming is a piece of cake. Simply bolt a gyro-stabilized IMAX camera to the roof of a matte black Porsche Cayenne Turbo and you can practically film anything up to 150mph. Or if you’re on a budget a few strategically placed Go-Pros can do the trick.

https://petrolicious.com/articles/hollywood-horsepower-these-were-the-coolest-film-cars-behind-the-camera

·
Registered
355 Posts
MOVIE Grand Prix 1966

MY GT40 BEATS YOUR PORSCHE 917

For me the Greatest Motor Racing Film is GRAND PRIX (1966)

I was there when they filmed it at Brands Hatch on Sunday & Monday 17th/18th July and actually appear in the background in one shot. :grin:

In those day's there was no Health & Safety and I could stand a couple of feet away from a
McLaren when it was going down the Paddock Road and mix with Clarke, Hill and the other Great Drivers.

Day's Long Gone I am afraid. :crying:

Not all the F1 cars were really genuine.There are quite a fewFormula Three cars mixed in with them sutiably made over.

A few samples photos follow.

Imagine - the noise of a trio of F1's being preceded by a GT40 as it went past the Pits approaching Paddock Bend. :laugh:

John Frankenheimer
cinematography was visionary for putting you in the Race instead of just watching it.

I commend it to you all. Watch it Again ( Or for the First Time ) You won't be dissapointed.

Ready for the OFF

READY STEADY GO

The Late JAMES GARNER

The Great JIM CLARK

A REAL MOVER

No Mini Digital Cameras in those Days.

Mike

·
6007.us
2,619 Posts
Do we need a movie thread ?

Same time as Grand Prix (have in several formats) have A Man and a Woman, Red Line 7000 (front Fla plate on the Cobra coupe), & a bit later Vanishing Point (have the Charlotte Rampling bit), Gone in 60 Seconds (original soundtrack), and The Gumball Rally (with the Jag bit). And as any true collection I really don't know how many more but A Lot

·
Registered
355 Posts
Steve McQueen in LeMans (1971)

Don't forget Steve McQueen in LeMans (1971) :grin:
ACTUALLY FILMED JUNE 1970

One of the best pure racing movies ever made.

STEVE McQUEEN and the 2 Porsche's he drove in Le Mans - A 911 and a 917

Porsche 917 Camera Car

GETTING READY TO ROLL

THE LOOK :surprise:

A PORSCHE 917 DOING IT'S THING

GT40 v Porsche 917

MODIFIED GT40 - Where did the Roof GO

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts