Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After some advice please. I am replacing 18 inch wheels back to stock 16. My new wheels have arrived but not the original lugs, I have four original lugs with about 16mm exposed thread at the rear which I understand should be fine on the rear so as not to foul the parking brake? My dilemma is however I have sold the 18's and they are due for collection soon, can I put the replacement wheels on with one lug in each, if it will only sit on the drive until the full set arrives?

Regards

Jamin

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
As long as you dont move or rock it it should be OK Down force weight is taken on the spigot that sticks out from the hub Just dont push the car sideways

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Or how about putting two wheels on jack stands and using two lugs on each of the other wheels?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jon and Sok, I've gone with one bolt in each and it seems pretty stable the bolts are 40mm long and hopefully prestige all parts should have some on route(thanks for the offer though Jon that's really kind) prestige have been brilliant by the way. Does 40mm seem right, after reading the storys about people fouling their park brakes I'm a bit nervous, my drive is on a hill so I can't really spin the wheel when the car is a on a jack and in neutral. There was about 16-17mm exposed when pushed though the wheel, do you think I'll be ok?

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Not sure on a 170. On a 350 the thickness of the rear brake drum is 10mm But it depends on the wheels. I just changed mine and found the bolts off my OEM 18's were too short to poke through the 17 OEM wheel. I went for a 35 mm bolt to give me 10 mm thread but Woolly kindly took one of his original works fitted bolts out and it measures 39 mm meaning 4 mm pokes into the drum. So on that basis I wouldnt go longer than 40 mm on mine As I say it depends on the wheel as it seems MB vary the depth of the bolt holes in the wheels

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Where you 18's OEM or aftermarket ??? as the bolt shoulders are different and must never be used on OEM wheels

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They were aftermarket and the bolts were short coned seating tyre, fortunately in the boot was a packet of 4 mercedes bolts about 39-40mm shaft part unthreaded part thread and ball seat. why there was just one pack I don't know, I wish there had been a full set! From everything I've looked at they are stock oem bolts

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
yes they are the right ones by the sound of it What wheels are you putting on. You should have about 14 mm of thread sticking out through the wheel. I am sure that 10 mm is OK as any thread on the bolt that goes into fresh air isnt doing anything.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,420 Posts
The package in the boot was for using with the spare. The regular wheel bolts would not work with the spare tire. One spare tire, one set of bolts for it. That is the reason for not having more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ones for the spare are really short, definetly not them, my spare nuts are in a circular red package, they are quite clearly marked so I don't think there can be any mistake.

These are the replacements

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
The spare wheel bolts are made for the spare and definitely not for use with the main wheels. I cant tell from the photos what bolt length you need but I would say you need no less than 10 mm of thread and better to have a bit more but not so they hit the brakes inside the rear drums. I am guessing that you could need 39 mm from the start of the shank to the end of the thread. Best way is to put a bolt through a wheel and measure how much thread shows

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I just read back. !6 to 17 mm shoeing through sounds a lot. You really need to spin a wheel before you attempt to drive. If the hit the hand brake mechanism you could do some expensive damage. Block the other 3 wheels and spin one of the back ones

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Do it gently and listen for anything catching. Woolly measured his for me and at 39 mm meant there was about 4 mm inside the hub, and as his are factory fitted I have decided to put 39 mm in mine instead of the 35's I have at the moment. Also the aftermarket bolts are mostly threaded the full length which is not the way a wheel bolt should be, The plain shaft on an OEM bolt fits the hole in the wheel better reducing the possibility of any play. The only drawback is that they go rusty as they arent zinc plated. I am going to paint mine before I fit them and coat them once they are in position by masking off the hole and spraying them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.