Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm a new convert to the SLK and am looking at pulling the trigger in the next 6 months and I'd like to ask a few burning questions to help orient myself.

I was originally after an R170 after discovering a decent-ish '01-'03 plate could be picked up for <£2000 but after hearing they suffered from bad build quality and rust - coupled with the fact I love its successor - I am hoping to hold out for an R171 for about £5000 which should get me a decent '05 plate.

1) Am I right, that the R170 should be avoided? Despite their bad rep as detailed above, I can't shake the attraction of owning an electric droptop Merc for peanuts (£1500-£1800). The low cost also means I won't care if I just get a few years out of it before it packs in and it can also be a second car (and thus last longer).

2) Did the build quality and mechanics greatly improve for the R171?

3) Are high mileage cars to be avoided? Am I right to think that, as with fellow Germans, Audo, VW and BMW, the days of 'it'll be on it's last legs after 100k' are long gone?

4) Is there any reason why the R171 200K should be avoided (as per its predecessor)? I don't understand why this model is so popular if it's so naff.

5) I'm not a racer so will I really care about paying for a tiptronic/flippy paddle setup? I just want a stylish car, with a nice ride, that's got some oomph when I put the foot down.

6) Are the manual boxes really that bad? Again, I'm not a racer but manuals are all I've known. My brother had automatic cars for a while and they were always sluggish to accelerate and kick down, which puts me off getting an auto box.

7) What spec level would you recommend? I'm guessing it would be the Grand Edition as that's the one that comes with air con and heated seats (I would prefer climate control but that's on other trim levels but without heated seats).

8) What's the difference between the 280 and the 300? They seem identical to me.

9) Is there a recommended model? I assume I should be looking at the 280 or 350 (presuming the 350 isn't crazy-expensive to run).

Thanks!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,232 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

On a smartphone: http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/330737-how-update-your-profile-post-intro-smartphone.html

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,330 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
94,232 Posts
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/68666-new-used-vehicle-pickup-checklist.html

1) Am I right, that the R170 should be avoided? Despite their bad rep as detailed above, I can't shake the attraction of owning an electric droptop Merc for peanuts (£1500-£1800). The low cost also means I won't care if I just get a few years out of it before it packs in and it can also be a second car (and thus last longer).

Nothing wrong with a cared for 22 year old car

2) Did the build quality and mechanics greatly improve for the R171?

completely different car. like comparing apples to oranges.
only thing the same is the hardtop roof

3) Are high mileage cars to be avoided? Am I right to think that, as with fellow Germans, Audo, VW and BMW, the days of 'it'll be on it's last legs after 100k' are long gone?

if properly cared for and maintianed, nothing wrong with higher mileage car

use our search feature for threads on the subject

4) Is there any reason why the R171 200K should be avoided (as per its predecessor)? I don't understand why this model is so popular if it's so naff.

200 is most popular in UK/overseas. It is the lower end of the slk as far as models go

7) What spec level would you recommend? I'm guessing it would be the Grand Edition as that's the one that comes with air con and heated seats (I would prefer climate control but that's on other trim levels but without heated seats).

There is no such thing as a grand edition

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/212745-what-r170-r171-r172.html

8) What's the difference between the 280 and the 300? They seem identical to me.

they are exactly the same

SLK 300 (known as SLK 280 in some markets) – 3.0 L (2996 cc) 170 kW (231 PS; 228 hp) double overhead cam V6 engine, 0–100 km/h (62 mph) 6.3 seconds, top speed 155 mph. (starting in 2006 model year)

·
Super Moderator Northern California US 06 SLK 280
10,345 Posts

Welcome to SLKWorld.com from Northern
California

:burnout::Beer:

List of Useful SLK Links >https://slk-links.neocities.org/Links.html

PARTS Information on Mercedes SLK R170 R171 R172 >https://slk-links.neocities.org/

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html
<---------------------

We have a free to enter monthly competition.
Entry is open from the 1st to the 15th of every month. You simply post a reply with 3 photos.
After the 15th we usually open a poll for members to vote on their favorite.
Here's the main thread:
<---------------------

ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes
Benz SLK Forum

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,285 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us and posting an intro! :)

The only thing I'd like to add to Jeff's (very thorough) response above is that the R170 is apparently a little more prone to rust, so make sure that you check that out thoroughly if you start looking at the R170 again.

We have quite a few members in the UK that like to meet up from time to time. If you're interested in joining us sometime, just keep an eye on the UK Region section, as we post meeting plans there!

There is a summary post that I maintain for our UK meets here. Links to examples and pictures from last year's meets are available here. We're a friendly group, and always happy to welcome new members at any of our meets.

We're also plotting where our UK members are - check out the thread for that here: SLKWorld UK & Ireland Members and Meeting Points Map - Please let me know if you'd like to be added to the map. :tu:

Thank you
Dave

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
11,984 Posts
Welcome from Canada :smile:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Can I get answers to questions 5, 6 and 9?

JBanks,
According to Parkers the trim levels are standard, sport, edition 10 and grand edition.

Dave, I'm in Manchester :)

·
94,232 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, which trim level comes with parking sensors? Or is this an add-on only?

Assuming the order of expense is as follows: standard, sport, edition 10 and grand edition, I find it strange that the trim levels seem messed up. Eg standard trim comes with climate control (which is better than air con) but other, higher trim options, only come with air con. Or some come with heated seats and air con but not climate control.

If given the option between a low mileage older car (say 55k mile 2004) and a newer higher mileage car (125k mile 2006) is there any strong reason to go for the older car? Naturally, I'd prefer a younger car and the higher mileage shouldn't be an issue but would I be making a mistake?

Similarly, if given a choice between an older, higher mileage 280 and a younger, lesser mileage 200 would I be making a mistake in going for the 280?

·
94,232 Posts
5) I'm not a racer so will I really care about paying for a tiptronic/flippy paddle setup? I just want a stylish car, with a nice ride, that's got some oomph when I put the foot down.

You are buying a non new car, so if they have the paddles, does not mean you have to use the paddles. or tiptronic. just drive it like a normal car

6) Are the manual boxes really that bad? Again, I'm not a racer but manuals are all I've known. My brother had automatic cars for a while and they were always sluggish to accelerate and kick down, which puts me off getting an auto box.

after 2007 you won't find any manual cars and to find one less than 2007 is like a needle in a haystack

the brochures have the 'options' and what is included in the options
all cars come with air conditioning...in the usa at least

9) Is there a recommended model? I assume I should be looking at the 280 or 350 (presuming the 350 isn't crazy-expensive to run).

·
Super Moderator Northern California US 06 SLK 280
10,345 Posts

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,384 Posts
Welcome from "Down South"..!! :tu:

Also, which trim level comes with parking sensors? Or is this an add-on only?

Assuming the order of expense is as follows: standard, sport, edition 10 and grand edition, I find it strange that the trim levels seem messed up. Eg standard trim comes with climate control (which is better than air con) but other, higher trim options, only come with air con. Or some come with heated seats and air con but not climate control.

If given the option between a low mileage older car (say 55k mile 2004) and a newer higher mileage car (125k mile 2006) is there any strong reason to go for the older car? Naturally, I'd prefer a younger car and the higher mileage shouldn't be an issue but would I be making a mistake?

Similarly, if given a choice between an older, higher mileage 280 and a younger, lesser mileage 200 would I be making a mistake in going for the 280?
Just looking through Your good questions:

Having met with some SLK owners yesterday, rust is a bigger problem on the R170's & a lot (most?) have been re-sprayed, but the rust will be back... :frown:
It's just a case of do You like the looks of a R170 or a R171 (The R171's also got a face lift in 2008)

If Your don't want the additional speed of a V6 engine (280/350), getting a SLK 200 would make a lot of sense & will save on running costs.
I also think when looking for used SLK's, the 200's come in more colours? (V6 SLK's tend to be Black/Silver..!!)

As already advised, the Manual gearbox is very rare in the UK - Try out a Auto SLK 200 & see what You think?
The Flappy Paddles where some think like a ~£120 option, but don't have to be used

Here in the UK, Ford/Peugeot/Nissan ect have trim levels:
Mercedes on the other hand had a standard SLK that came with a fancy folding roof, cloth seats & a steering wheel - Every thing else was a option that the first owner had to pay for....!!
(I jest a little, but You get the idea)
While looking for mine, I came across a 2008 SLK 280 that had £12k of options...

In My mind Heated Seats are the No.1 option You need to look for when looking at a used SLK.
Then the nice to have options are Air Scarf, COMAND (Better radio/Sat-Nav) Parking Sensors, ect..
Plus You also need the bit of Perplex between the two role over hoop's which is very important for driving top down in the UK...!!!

As for mileage - It's all about how well it has been serviced & hard to say if a 50k car is better that a 100k car, with out seeing both...
Also checking out the MOT history can give a clue to how well the car has been looked after:
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ (Then click on the "History" drop down box)

Good luck in Your search & feel free to come back with links to cars on Auto Trader ect, and I'm sure We will chip in with our thoughts :smile:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts