1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I guess just a matter of taste but definitely not my cup of tea :(

·
Don't forget your cat nap
191 Posts
Is there any practical benefit to making doors that open up rather than out?

My opinion: That paint job looks cramped and out of place on a vehicle of that size.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK280
392 Posts
Yes, to reduce the amount of storage space in the SLK by another 2 side pockets!

-K
Hahahah I never thought of that!

I quite like the idea of those doors. I have to reverse into my garage to be able to open the drivers door to get out.

My undertanding is that you have a choice to 'raise' the door or not. The bolt on ones still open normally, but with the option of lifting it up also.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,945 Posts
That car's been on this forum before. It has that twin-turbo setup which has the turbos in the rear. I wonder what the reserve is. With all the body customizations they put on that car, it's a bit surprising that it still has the original (non-AMG) front bumper on it.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
That car's been on this forum before. It has that twin-turbo setup which has the turbos in the rear. I wonder what the reserve is. With all the body customizations they put on that car, it's a bit surprising that it still has the original (non-AMG) front bumper on it.

I think that I could build a better-looking SLK for $150,000 and perhaps just as fast if not faster. TV screens in the door panels? :td:

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)Many cars that have been extensively customized, sell at bargain prices compared to what's been invested. Kleeman modified cars are a example. But not all. Many non-conventional mods could be a bucket of worms for the new owner. I'd prefer a lightly used, lightly modified, non tracked car, if purchasing used.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
nothing succeeds like excess they say...if so, this guys king o' the hill...way too much IMHO....

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
307 Posts
It seems that all those mods have worsen the car's condition. This is the cheapest R171 I have ever seen. (9200$). :)

The rear bumper is plain awful.

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
What an ugly arse. For $150K I can think of a lot of cars I would rather own than a modified SLK350!

Reactions: rhartson

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
..Not for me...:td:

Cheers
Sean

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Reminds me of an episode of Pawn Stars where a guy had a custom built Trike with a Chevy engine he wanted to sell. They asked how much and he told them he had $100,000 in it. They called in a expert who said that all of the parts were available for around $15,000. Not a good investment. Needless to say the guy with the trike wasn't happy.

The car above doesn't seem to be in that bad of shape, but I'd be shocked if he got half of the $150,000 out of it. He'd get even less from me. Not exactly my style - too flashy. But it's good to see what the other folks in the SLK universe are doing.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,945 Posts
Reminds me of an episode of Pawn Stars where a guy had a custom built Trike with a Chevy engine he wanted to sell. They asked how much and he told them he had $100,000 in it. They called in a expert who said that all of the parts were available for around $15,000. Not a good investment. Needless to say the guy with the trike wasn't happy.
I bet the trike owner was like:

"Well, they said it was worth 15 thousand. They gave me 8 thousand for it. I left with more money than I came in with so I guess it was a good deal." :D

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Keep the $150,000 in your pocket and leave the car alone. The cars are great just the way are.
I would have to wonder if the lambo doors would affect the strength and stiffness of the body too*

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I bet the trike owner was like:

"Well, they said it was worth 15 thousand. They gave me 8 thousand for it. I left with more money than I came in with so I guess it was a good deal." :D
Granted that Reality TV requires the assumption that people behave naturally with a Camera in their face. :biglaugh:

But - if you believe the show - the guy was ticked off - they basically told him he had been scammed, and he was crazy for thinking anyone would give him $100,000 for his toy, and that he was getting ready to lose about $75,000.:mad:

Since Shakespeare, tragedy is the foundation of comedy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts