Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you might enjoy these shots --sorry if some are blurry ---- I know you will understand why
R)for you tempted to do this ---- please use extreme caution --- know your vehicle's condition --tires,brakes etc: know the road.
I have been driving now for over 50 years and this is the first time I have turned a car loose on a public highway like this
http://public.fotki.com/cruzer-8/speed-readings/

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Gene, you speed demon you! :tu: I presume the SL was rock solid and stable even at those speeds.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
That extra weight over an SLK must really pay dividends in the planted feel at those speeds. Also, the longer wheelbase probably made the car less "jittery".

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wheel base and the weight help the ABC also contributes ---- the one pic with the digital read of 156 was taken with the body in the raised position(my mistake) I believe that the rpm would have been lower if the car had been in the lowest position and not going uphill it took more than 600rpm's to pick up 4 mph --- these shots were taken at different times on the trip and I never held the speeds for very long ---- but the normal cruising speed on this section of the highway seemed to be about 85 for 18 wheelers and 100 for auto's.
Another interesting note --- while having to slow down to 80 for a smaller car to move over we encountered a new 427 Mustang and he wanted to outrun us well from 80 to 140 the SL pulled away from him by about 100 yards he shut down at this point. He flashed his lights and put on his turn signal at the next rest stop but I couldn't exit I was already passing the exit road by the time he signaled --- we might have had a good conversation

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
:) Yeah, big blocks have a lot of torque, but unlike most cars designed to go fast from 0 to 80 MPH, Mercedes seems to make sure they're power and gearing keep the accelleration over 80 MPH fierce.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow. So how long did it take to get to that top speed? True Speed Demon, I don't think I would try even if I could. Is this the 55 Kompressor engine?

·
Founding Member #3
312 Posts
Thought you might enjoy these shots --sorry if some are blurry ---- I know you will understand why
R)for you tempted to do this ---- please use extreme caution --- know your vehicle's condition --tires,brakes etc: know the road.
I have been driving now for over 50 years and this is the first time I have turned a car loose on a public highway like this
http://public.fotki.com/cruzer-8/speed-readings/
pah! Is that all?

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/3776-i-could-have-gone-faster-but.html

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. So how long did it take to get to that top speed? True Speed Demon, I don't think I would try even if I could. Is this the 55 Kompressor engine?
Didn't make a 0 to this speed run just was cruising and when the road opened up we increased the speed -- no just a stock plain jane 550

1 - 12 of 12 Posts