Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a kid we all drove muscle cars with enormous hemis. The term "breakin' the ton" was popular slang. You broke the ton when 100 mph was significantly exceeded and sustained. I hope everyone with a wicked fast SLK can make use of this expression. Those who know it will definately smile when they hear it!R)

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,638 Posts
Gregg, you r an old fart!!! but young at 52 u is! did they have cars when you were young? you were telling me about that horse and buggy you had. LOL!!!

and when u gonna post of picture of your baby?

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Well - as an old biker - in the UK, if you wore a white silk scarf whilst on yer bike, it meant you had done 'the ton' - my BM bike can cruise (in Germany, obviously, I wouldn't dream of breaking the 70mph speed limit in the UK:)) at 120mph without even trying - but, I've got an early '70's Triumph Bonnie - it can nearly crack the ton, but getting close is seriously scary :eek:

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hemis and Scarves

Jeff...yes we did have cars that looked like boats and drank 20 cent gas like a camel drinks water and you could fix them with a hammer and some duct tape.....called mine the Grape (some called it the Boones Farm Special) Ha!

Woolly...I'm liking the white scarf thing a lot! How cool! Might help with the drool when I break the ton. I'm too much of a pansy to earn the white scarf on a bike....scary! Hats off to you sir!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts