Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
Hi! in what manner? the owner's manual covers it.

Location of high beam bulb?
do you mean in getting your hand in there?
many turn the wheel in the opposite direction, and remove wheel well cover and stick their hand in there

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mercedes love to make even the simple things difficult.

Officer: you have a headlight bulb out
Me: Sorry yes i know its come up on the super duper dash but i have to remove half the engine components to get to it, ill do it the weekend when i have a few hours spare
Officer: Ok heres your ticket for defective equipment violation

Lmao

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
not half, just one quarter! and you need small hands to get in there

come to the winery tour and bring your bulbs. we'll take care of you!

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Sneaky Pete and jbanks15 you guys are awesome

Thing is i honestly don't think i can fit my 3 ton trolley jack, tool chest and generator (to give me light if it happens at night) in the back of her bloody car....Now if it were my RAM then i could carry the kitchen sink also to wash up after and and tend to my cuts and bruises incurred from trying to shove my arm up the front end lol

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Hi all can anyone point me in the right direction in replacing the passenger side high beam bulb please 2005 SLK 350

Many thanks
The high beam H7 lamps can be accessed from the engine compartment without removing the front wheel liner.

This thread on replacing parking lamps shows access to the H7 high rear area in the R171: http://www.slkworld.com/155190-post8.html

The connector to the H7 lamp is brown in the photos of the aforementioned link.
I haven't actually changed a high beam lamp. I presume after removing the rear connector, there may be a wire spring clip-like clamp the holds the H7 in place. Be extra careful when un-clamping, so the wire clamp does not spring loose and jump off and drop into the engine compartment. One may have to place a large towel underneath to act as a "net".(I've heard this happens to other MB models)

Let us know if you are successful.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
Eddy, he has man hands! and cannot get them in there :D
and as you know, the passenger side is a tighter fit than the driver's side

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Eddy, he has man hands! and cannot get them in there :D
and as you know, the passenger side is a tighter fit than the driver's side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSL4cmFW_GU
Even with man-sized hands (I actually use size 7.5 surgical gloves, which is considered medium-sized as opposed to size 8) the passenger side high beam H7 lamp on North American R171 models can be accessed and replaced from engine compartment.

Just make sure of the following:

1. engine is at room temperature
2. remove the tubular air duct that leads to the air filter housing
3. remove a wire connector that may obstruct/restrict freedom of movement to the upper beam rear wire connectors
4. good light source or torch (not a flame/fire, called "flashlight" in the USA) :grin:
5. absence of severe arthritis of fingers, wrist and elbow :grin:
6. reasonable eyesight or visual acuity :grin:

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eddy

Thanks for you input. I tried to do it from the engine compartment but to no avail. So i took the wheel off and half section of the wheel well splash guard and voila full access gained. To be honest after taking the black circular cap off that covers the connector, then turning the bulb and reatiner counterclockwise to release it from the main housing, was a tad difficult even with full access. Putting it back in took a few attempts to make sure the metallic retainer was aligned properly and clipped securely into place.

No scratches to myself, just took half the front end out to get to a bloody bulb lol

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Eddy

Thanks for you input. I tried to do it from the engine compartment but to no avail. So i took the wheel off and half section of the wheel well splash guard and voila full access gained. To be honest after taking the black circular cap off that covers the connector, then turning the bulb and reatiner counterclockwise to release it from the main housing, was a tad difficult even with full access. Putting it back in took a few attempts to make sure the metallic retainer was aligned properly and clipped securely into place.

No scratches to myself, just took half the front end out to get to a bloody bulb lol
Just curious: do you have the Xenon HID lamps for main/low beam (i.e. lighting package) or do you have H7 halogens for the main/low beams?

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.