Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, so I'm not sure if this has been asked before.

I'm eventually going to upgrade the headlights on my 230 to the ones everyone seems to have in either silver or black, but my question is should I go HID or get something like this LED option (they even do a 105 LED version)!

Thanks in advance,

Luke.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,372 Posts
Thank you for updating your profile!

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:For fog lights, you will be OK with LEDs and they will be easier to install. HID (xenons) are the best lights available for low beams and high beam if possible, and they're worth every cent.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I doubt those LED lights will produce even 25% of the output from the standard halogen lights. I wouldn't waste money on those, they look like lights for in show-cars or something. Not suitable for normal driving conditions in the dark. HID gives 200~300% more output compared to halogen and are pretty cheap (a nice H7 4300K HID set will cost at most $100).

·
Registered
527 Posts
I doubt those LED lights will produce even 25% of the output from the standard halogen lights.
My thoughts too. LED will produce a much whiter light than halogen, but I doubt the power output to be the same. Low beam LED lighting is used on high end cars such as the Audi R8. Check this out, and also the page of MagnetiMarelli, the makers of the R8 light system.

I wish the makers of the 10£ lamps would post a comparison between halogen and their LED lights to be able to judge!

Oh... and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again guys and thanks for the quick replies.

I've looked at the LED 'bulbs' again and think you're right -they'll look white, but won't be all that bright. I'm going to get a HID kit for sure, but now wondered what peoples thoughts are on either 4300K or 6000K -I know the higher the temperature the whiter/blue the light, but also the less bright they become. Really I want a compromise, so thinking 6000K (but don't wanna get pulled neither)!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Hello again guys and thanks for the quick replies.

I've looked at the LED 'bulbs' again and think you're right -they'll look white, but won't be all that bright. I'm going to get a HID kit for sure, but now wondered what peoples thoughts are on either 4300K or 6000K -I know the higher the temperature the whiter/blue the light, but also the less bright they become. Really I want a compromise, so thinking 6000K (but don't wanna get pulled neither)!
4300K gives the best llumination at where you're looking to go (i.e., the road ahead). 6000k colour temperature gives a slightly purplish tint when one is looking at the headlamp, and less illumination on the road ahead than the 4300K.

I personally prefer 4300K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.