Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the Spyder aftermarket headlights, and I don't want to keep paying for Benz parts... Will an aftermarket kit fit the Spyder headlights? Anyone have experience with this?

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
If it's the ballast you can get them easily on ebay around 40-50 EUR. The bulb can also be replaced. Only bugger with these spyders is there is no room to work.

The ballast is mounted on the bottom and the clip holding the bulb in cannot be seen (maybe through a mirror, but than your hands get in the way). And trust me the clip WILL set itself completely free making it almost impossible to get it back in place. At that time the unit has to come out meaning the bumper has to get off.

Maybe the ballast can be reached from the wheel well. When the liner is loosened/removed there may be just enough room to get under the unit and unscrew the ballast. Two or three parkers if I remember right.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's the ballast you can get them easily on ebay around 40-50 EUR. The bulb can also be replaced. Only bugger with these spyders is there is no room to work.

The ballast is mounted on the bottom and the clip holding the bulb in cannot be seen (maybe through a mirror, but than your hands get in the way). And trust me the clip WILL set itself completely free making it almost impossible to get it back in place. At that time the unit has to come out meaning the bumper has to get off.

Maybe the ballast can be reached from the wheel well. When the liner is loosened/removed there may be just enough room to get under the unit and unscrew the ballast. Two or three parkers if I remember right.
Thanks, I went through the wheel-well on install too, much easier.

What size bulb are these HID's? H7? I'm interested if anyone can chime in about installing an aftermarket HID kit, especially because I'd like to find a whiter-light kit than the the factory bulbs. (I don't like any bluish tint)

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts

·
Registered 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,915 Posts
The bulbs for the HID version are D2. These are over $100 from the dealer, but can be had much cheaper online as aftermarket parts.

The most likely cause of failure is the bulb itself. When I've had this in the past, I usually swap the left/right bulbs, to see if the problem moves. If not, then switch the ignitors (the square blocks mounted on the back of the bulbs). Both of these swaps can be done easily through the wheel well. If the ignitor swap also doesn't make the problem move to the other side, it's likely the ballast.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I replaced the bulb.... worked, then went out. I'm thinking ignitor now. What bugs me is they both worked just fine until I switched to the Spyder headlights.

Thank you to those who chimed in, I really hope it's not a ballast, as I would imagine it is more expensive than the ignitor! Anyone else had a ballast fail on this car?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The ignitors are unfortunately also crazy expensive...
:( Yes, quoted $250 for one ignitor. But, it's an AMG, I knew the rules going in LOL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK Fantastic! Mercedes took really great care of me on this whole situation.

They spent 3+ hours completely uninstalling BOTH headlights, swapping ballasts, igniters etc to find the problem. It simply ended up being a bad connection, they fixed it, re-installed and charged me......

$0.00

I'm still in shock. I typically avoid dealerships and have always used independent Euro shops and Tuning shops for my cars to avoid being 'gouged,' but wow... I am really pleased with this particular Benz Dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts