Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
* Registered
2012 SLK 200
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all and I am in Korea which is winter now and drive only less than 5 km for commuting.

And... I have not noticed this issue until now since my second-hand purchase of SLK, one and a half years ago, the coolant temperature does not go up easily.

The reason why I have started to concern about the temperature was like this
- Smell of gasoline of engine oil + yellowish sludge of oil cap which means not enough heating up of engine oil.

And the thermostat (is this right?) worked well without any error signal when tested in the shop nearby my house by a mechanic, of course, they connected tools to diagnose during the test.

So I drove for a while on purpose and it took about 30 min to get to the 90 deg on the dashboard gauge, in the circumstance of the outside temperature of no less than 0 celsius.

Hence, I got to this following question.

Is it normal to take this long to get to the proper temperature?

I need help from super users.

Have a good day!

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
17,053 Posts
Others will answer your questions more "knowledgeably" than me but if your trips are only 5 km , you need to invest in a battery trickler--Ctek or Battery Tender. You will kill that battery as it cannot fully re-charge --needs at least 30 minutes of hiway speeds to recharge.

Look at this thread from about post # 9 onwards

Reactions: jbanks15 and Hank T

·
* Registered
2012 SLK 250CDI
407 Posts
Driving for 5km will not be enough to get the engine oil warm and the result will be water (condensation) mixing with the oil to produce the cream coloured sludge you have found. A few long runs should stop that happening but I would get the oil changed soon.
It should not take 30 minutes to warm up though, something is wrong there. I would suspect that the thermostat has an intermittent problem perhaps?

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
2,009 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
958 Posts
Was the thermostat correctly tested? Just checking with the computer is not going to tell you if thermostat performance is OK.
And yes you will need to add a longer drive cycle to your routine and shorten your oil interval.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
2001 SLK320
947 Posts
That is too long for any engine to warm up.
Seems a tad long to me too. A new thermostat is cheap. The yellow sludge and gas smell is a function of the engine running cold for too long and there is water in the oil.
I would tend to get the cooling system and PCV system checked and put in a new thermostat and PCV

1 - 8 of 8 Posts