Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
Hi John, welcome from Barrhead, Scotland. 馃槃

Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
Hi John, Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

Registered 2011 SLK350
Hi and welcome from leeds.
By coincidence, I am also a new member and have also bought a SLK350 (yesterday). Mine is a 2011 R171 model. Just waiting for a Mot and service to be done before I can pick mine up.

Also I agree with your comments about the OEM head unit and I will want to change the one in my car as soon as possible. I would be interested to see what choice you make.

regards, Ultrix

Registered 2008 SLK350
Discussion Starter #26
Blimey, just caught up with the welcomes. Thank you everyone, what a cracking forum this is! Stay safe and try to stay sane!

ATVB John. 馃憤

Registered 2008 SLK350
Discussion Starter #27
Hi and welcome from leeds.
By coincidence, I am also a new member and have also bought a SLK350 (yesterday). Mine is a 2011 R171 model. Just waiting for a Mot and service to be done before I can pick mine up.

Also I agree with your comments about the OEM head unit and I will want to change the one in my car as soon as possible. I would be interested to see what choice you make.

regards, Ultrix
Turns out it鈥檚 a minefield! I鈥檝e opted for a Bluetooth receiver in the glove box via the 3.5mm socket and powered it from the charging socket found below the glove box. Only temporary but at least I can stream music from my phone. I think it will need to be a full instal at a later date. If you need exact knowledge of what I鈥檝e bought just drop me a PM.

ATB John.

Registered 2011 SLK350
Hi, thanks for letting me know. I realise it's a minefield. Initially I had considered replacing the standard unit with something based on Android. Over the last couple of days or so, I've been playing around with a couple of Android TV boxes. For use in a house rather than for use in a car.
While I am a fan of Android phones, Android doesn't seem to work right as a computer operating system. Nothing serious, just a list of minor things like mouse control being very jerky (not as smooth as on a laptop or PC).
Some of the specs for Android head units that are online say the units have a hd display, but have a resolution of 1024x600 which is not hd. I will defer my purchase until I can get my head around that one.
As a temporary solution, we have a spotify account, so I intend to use Bluetooth to stream music by Bluetooth from a phone. Although the car's Bluetooth fails to recognise one of our phones, which is only about 6 months old (a Samsung A70).
It would nice to know what unit you got, since your setup is one approach that I haven't considered.

regards, Robert

Registered 2008 SLK350
Discussion Starter #29
Hi, thanks for letting me know. I realise it's a minefield. Initially I had considered replacing the standard unit with something based on Android. Over the last couple of days or so, I've been playing around with a couple of Android TV boxes. For use in a house rather than for use in a car.
While I am a fan of Android phones, Android doesn't seem to work right as a computer operating system. Nothing serious, just a list of minor things like mouse control being very jerky (not as smooth as on a laptop or PC).
Some of the specs for Android head units that are online say the units have a hd display, but have a resolution of 1024x600 which is not hd. I will defer my purchase until I can get my head around that one.
As a temporary solution, we have a spotify account, so I intend to use Bluetooth to stream music by Bluetooth from a phone. Although the car's Bluetooth fails to recognise one of our phones, which is only about 6 months old (a Samsung A70).
It would nice to know what unit you got, since your setup is one approach that I haven't considered.

regards, Robert
Robert, I鈥檒l post pics and spec later. Best John.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts