Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, hi to every one & thank you to all that have contributed to this forum, the information that I have absorbed the last couple of weeks has proved to priceless.
Last year I sold my 2013 C63 & replaced it with a bigger every day car (F pace) it was a good decision for me, however, I've missed several important factors, the power, the acoustical pleasure from the rear end & of course the big ear to ear grin when the right foot is extended to the AMG floor mat >:D, so I decided to get another one for pleasure as a 2nd week end/ days off car, then I thought lets go convertible, so the SLK dream started here... which one I asked my self, ....well....there is only one choice really it has to be the AMG 55, so with a sensible budget of about 18k (£) I found a nice black R171 with some nice add ons, (£18k) but the private owner messed me about a bit & after verbally accepted my offer sold it to someone for full asking price, after reading & reading & reading this forum, I decided to up my budget & found a R172 black one (£22k) it had all the options I was looking for including HK sound, air scarf (all must for me) low milage & low & behold I got let down again by another private seller for same reason, (I didn't want to put a deposit on it with out looking at it & couldn't look at it for a few days due to life stuff & distance) so missed that one..back to forum, more reading... then I decided to see what is out of my budget (sort of) found it !! (£30k) ouch !! I phoned up the DEALER, asked a load of questions & paid a deposit £500 (refundable if there is something wrong with car or description) mmm... fingers crossed, so, on Monday I am traveling 3.5 hours to inspect & pick up (hopefully)
I realise have not got the bargain of the week, how ever...I have found one that I really like with a lot of options, £12k's worth (apparently) & this really does tick all the boxes.
I would like have some opinions of spec. / price, I don't think its priced massively over the top ?? but after all the research I absorbed I don't think I would be waiting a long time to get better (or not ???)
so...here is the spec. diamond white metallic, 14,000k miles, 2 owners, full MB service, AMG performance pack, diff lock, performance steering wheel, magic sky roof, AMG handling pack, nappa 2 tone interior (white & black) memory seats, parktronic, HK logic 7, black ash trim, lux climate, air scarf, heat seats, mirror pack, on line comand sat nav (no double m, I learnt that hear :) DVD changer & liguatronic, 18" matt black multi spokes, intelligent light system, solar red lighting, IWC clock,
some of the mentioned may be standard equipment so apologies if so, the condition looks mint from photos (no longer available due to ad taken off of Autotrader)
I know some of you guys look around for months & fair play to you, unfortunately or fortunately I don't have the time or patience so ....yes...after only 2-3 weeks I guess this comes under a quick decision so.... good or bad do you think?
I can't wait till Monday & I will report my findings & will send some photos (if I buy) so, It would be good to hear some good advise off of all you SLK pro's & thanks for reading (if you've got this far)

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,838 Posts
Hi, welcome from Barrhead, Scotland. :smile:

One of our mods will be along shortly to "officially" welcome you but in the mean time, and I realise you are probably aware of these but just in case, here are some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.

If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.

Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.

New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,480 Posts

·
Super Moderator 2006 SLK 280
10,838 Posts

Welcome to SLKWorld.com from Northern
California

:burnout::Beer:

List of Useful SLK Links >https://slk-links.neocities.org/Links.html

PARTS Information on Mercedes SLK R170 R171 R172 >https://slk-links.neocities.org/

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html
<---------------------

We have a free to enter monthly competition.
Entry is open from the 1st to the 15th of every month. You simply post a reply with 3 photos.
After the 15th we usually open a poll for members to vote on their favorite.
Here's the main thread:
<---------------------

ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes
Benz SLK Forum

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,224 Posts
Welcome from Canada :smile:

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,800 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,303 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.

We have a free to enter monthly competition.
Entry is normally open from the 1st to the 15th of every month. You simply post a reply with 3 photos.
After the 15th we usually open a poll for members to vote on their favourite.
Here's the main thread:
https://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/
New members are welcome to enter (and they win too!).

Really useful links (thanks to ixions cataloguing)
https://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/354330-links-toparts-assemblies-technical-data-locations-parts-slks.html
https://slk-links.neocities.org/ Includes diy videos.
Spare parts: https://slk-links.neocities.org/EPCLINKS.HTM

A brief guide to the forum and how to get the best from it:
https://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/439993-new-wondering-what-do.html

There's a link to R170/171/172's do it yourself threads under the pic below.

Some useful tips in this section for new and prospective owners.
Worth knowing are reset adaptive learning, check list, Spring is here and what is the SmartTop.
https://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/
https://slk-links.neocities.org/BUYING.html

You can find your region by scrolling down the page on this link
https://www.slkworld.com/forumindex.php#club-regional-discussion-forum

We have an AMG section.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
3,859 Posts
Welcome from Gloucester uk
I think I know the car, it was on my list to look at when I bought my 55 a few weeks ago.
Nice colour by the way:wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Coincidence

Welcome from Gloucester uk
I think I know the car, it was on my list to look at when I bought my 55 a few weeks ago.
Nice colour by the way:wink:
I read your posts & it looks like we had exactly same dilemma’s, & how bizarre that (a) I ended up buying one that from the out side looks the same & (b) you had my one on your look @ list, can I ask what the mileage was on yours & did you stick to your 25k budget ? (I loosely say my one, as I have only paid deposit & looking/collecting tomorrow) its in Sudbury Suffolk, was that the one you were looking at ? Yours looks great !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mugs

I read your posts & it looks like we had exactly same dilemma’s, & how bizarre that (a) I ended up buying one that from the out side looks the same & (b) you had my one on your look @ list, can I ask what the mileage was on yours & did you stick to your 25k budget ? (I loosely say my one, as I have only paid deposit & looking/collecting tomorrow) its in Sudbury Suffolk, was that the one you were looking at ? Yours looks great !

& thanks every one for the welcome

·
3,859 Posts
Mugs

& thanks every one for the welcome
Yes, that’s the one! It was in Sudbury and had the black and white leather interior (I think the dealer also sold minis??)
I actually increased my budget to £30k (but that was including my 350 in part ex) because the one I kept going back to was over my initial £25k.
The mileage on mine is 30k. I was looking at lower mileage cars but as mine had mine ticket all the boxes I didn’t mind.
I’ve got a feeling you will buy it after the test drive. If the weather permits, drive it with the roof down in manual and the sound alone will have you feeling like Homer Simpson looking at a bag of doughnuts!....just don’t dribble over the seats:wink:
Let us know how you get on......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good news, drive the near on 4hr journey today to look at the said R172 55 & was utterly impresssed, only one very very tiny stone chip on the front & the rest of the car was mint, so a very pleased SLK 55 owner now, the drive back was mostly in traffic, darkish & wet (ish) however the car drove absolutely like a dream, can’t wait to take it out on some dry roads with the top down now.
The only issue that I have noticed on the way back is that the H Kardon in the drivers door does not seem to work, (I only noticed this on the way back) I have 3 month warrentee so will check tomorrow to see if the speaker is covered, has any one else had an issue with this, I have had a quick look on the forum but not found any thing yet, so if any one could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated, I will post some pics of the new ride when I get some free time.

·
3,859 Posts
Good news, drive the near on 4hr journey today to look at the said R172 55 & was utterly impresssed, only one very very tiny stone chip on the front & the rest of the car was mint, so a very pleased SLK 55 owner now, the drive back was mostly in traffic, darkish & wet (ish) however the car drove absolutely like a dream, can’t wait to take it out on some dry roads with the top down now.
The only issue that I have noticed on the way back is that the H Kardon in the drivers door does not seem to work, (I only noticed this on the way back) I have 3 month warrentee so will check tomorrow to see if the speaker is covered, has any one else had an issue with this, I have had a quick look on the forum but not found any thing yet, so if any one could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated, I will post some pics of the new ride when I get some free time.
I knew you wouldn’t be able to resist:wink:

Ref the door speaker - check the balance in the audio settings. When I was having a play with left / right it appeared to reduce the door speaker output but the speakers behind my head didnt appear to change (well not much) so it may be a case of the balance being set to the left making you think the door speaker isn’t working?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately, I’ve checked the balance, had it turned fully left & good sound but when turned fully right, it just sounded really muffled, it sounded just low end & no mid / treble, I put my ear to the HK in door panel & nothing coming out ?

·
6,187 Posts
The only issue that I have noticed on the way back is that the H Kardon in the drivers door does not seem to work, (I only noticed this on the way back) I have 3 month warrentee so will check tomorrow to see if the speaker is covered, has any one else had an issue with this
You should have no problem as this must have been an existing problem that they missed. Just let them know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.