Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi from Leicester, England

2K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  curro101 
I'm new to the Mercedes scene. I'm aiming to purchase an SLK in the next few months, probably a 320 but really any model with a good Mercedes service history. Not got a lot to spend so budget is tight but I'm sure there'll be a good motor out there for me if I wait long enough.

Andy
Hi and welcome Andy, I went for the 320 option and very pleased with the car had a lot of MB stamps and the last 4 years devices by independent garages but had had 4 oil changes and only done 4000 miles since last serviced by MB.

Paid just over 4k for it had a couple of small problems, AC needed regassing and the crankshaft sensor failed had another intermittent electrical fault which I tracked down when it became a total failure, ( loose main fuse ).

Averaging 25mpg, on a good run (240m) get about 37mpg and 15mpg if your right foot gets a bit heavy.

Loads on eBay at the moment some with very low miles mine had ,82k when I got it in July now 85.

Regards Stuart.
Ps don't wait too long prices jump up around march / April.

Thanks for that guys :) Not bad on the fuel figures for such a big engine. Never having owned a Mercedes I'm a bit wary of any electrical problems that may have manifested themselves over time and body issues with rust etc, but from what I've read about them they're not issues to worry about unless you buy a car with little or no history.

I take on board what you say about values rising as the weather improves.

Andy
Just a quick but very important reminder Andy, make sure it has 2 working key fobs and try both in the ignition barrel to make sure they work there as well, if you are lucky you may even get the emergency key as well about the size of a credit card but 4 x the thickness works like a fob to open and lock the car but the key slides into the "card" replacements are expensive and sometimes not available so if it only has one and you loose it its game over unless a new system is purchased. Sometimes MB want to see the car before they will issue a replacement key.

Regards Stuart.

Does anyone know the average price for a Mercedes dealer service for an SLK320 these days ? Or should I go and see a mortgage advisor :)
I bought mine with doing most of the servicing myself in mind, engine takes 8 litres of oil, MB oil cost £48.00 for 10 litres and MB oil filter £12.00, The oil filter is on the top of the engine so oil and filter can be changed easily , I bought a vacuum oil extractor from machine mart cost £55.00 so next service will be cheaper. There are 12 spark plugs in the 320 engine but if you get platinum tips NGK they should last 80,000 miles.

I bought a charcoal cabin filter from eurocarparts for £12.00 , servicing can be as expensive or inexpensive depending on which way you go.

Regards Stuart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.