Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Mercedes scene. I'm aiming to purchase an SLK in the next few months, probably a 320 but really any model with a good Mercedes service history. Not got a lot to spend so budget is tight but I'm sure there'll be a good motor out there for me if I wait long enough.

Andy

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,545 Posts
Hi Andy!

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,049 Posts
Welcome
So going for the 170 V6 lump
Make sure you get a good one as some are plagued with rust on front wings and inner wheel arch .

Where in leicester are you from ?

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
I'm new to the Mercedes scene. I'm aiming to purchase an SLK in the next few months, probably a 320 but really any model with a good Mercedes service history. Not got a lot to spend so budget is tight but I'm sure there'll be a good motor out there for me if I wait long enough.

Andy
Hi and welcome Andy, I went for the 320 option and very pleased with the car had a lot of MB stamps and the last 4 years devices by independent garages but had had 4 oil changes and only done 4000 miles since last serviced by MB.

Paid just over 4k for it had a couple of small problems, AC needed regassing and the crankshaft sensor failed had another intermittent electrical fault which I tracked down when it became a total failure, ( loose main fuse ).

Averaging 25mpg, on a good run (240m) get about 37mpg and 15mpg if your right foot gets a bit heavy.

Loads on eBay at the moment some with very low miles mine had ,82k when I got it in July now 85.

Regards Stuart.
Ps don't wait too long prices jump up around march / April.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Hi Andy, and welcome from another member based near Leicester (actually at Leicester Forest East - where are you?). :)

Also, we have quite a few active members around the Midlands and we meet up from time to time, sometimes to have a cooked breakfast somewhere, but always to chat about all things to do with cars. If you're interested in joining us sometime, either before or after you've found an SLK (it can sometimes be useful to ask other SLK drivers questions about their cars), please keep an eye on the UK Region section, as we post our plans there... we really should get a breakfast arranged soon, as it's been quite a while since we did that now! :D

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,559 Posts
Welcome from the East Midlands

Hi Andy,
Don't listen to Dave about cooked breakfasts, we only eat Fruit and Nuts:wink:
We are due a get together soon and you are more than welcome to join us.
I am looking for a place slightly North East, Coningsby maybe? I am going to do a Recky this weekend. We are off to the Polishers later this month so it may be late February or early March. As Dave said keep an eye on UK Region.:nerd:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,345 Posts
Hi Andy, welcome from the Wirral.

Now that the Midlands mafia have found you, you'll be in good hands.

Plus, join one of the brekky meets and you can see a range of slks first hand and ask questions before you make your mind up.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
@andyleic, I've just posted plans for an impromptu breakfast meet at the Donington Park cafe this Sunday, 7 Feb... if you're interested in joining us, just post in that thread to let us know. :tu:

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,802 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone really appreciate your feedback :) I'm from Saffron Lane in Leicester so a 10 minute drive from LFE. Be great to meet up with people to get a feel for the car and what to look out for etc. I need to update my location etc.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,545 Posts
location and vehicle info model n year

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,940 Posts
Hi and welcome Andy, I went for the 320 option and very pleased with the car had a lot of MB stamps and the last 4 years devices by independent garages but had had 4 oil changes and only done 4000 miles since last serviced by MB.

Paid just over 4k for it had a couple of small problems, AC needed regassing and the crankshaft sensor failed had another intermittent electrical fault which I tracked down when it became a total failure, ( loose main fuse ).

Averaging 25mpg, on a good run (240m) get about 37mpg and 15mpg if your right foot gets a bit heavy.

Loads on eBay at the moment some with very low miles mine had ,82k when I got it in July now 85.

Regards Stuart.
Ps don't wait too long prices jump up around march / April.
I second what @t140v says. Like you I looked for a 320 and got a cracker at the end of November. My mpg is not too dissimilar and mine had had the rust treated and a full respray so I was one lucky punter. The only issue I have had is that the weather has not been kind enough to get the top in the boot over the last few weeks.

And when you see one you really, really want don't hang around. Good ones go quickly. Also, in addition to eBay, look at Pistonheads and Autotrader.

Good luck - and let us all know when you find one!

SavCom

1 - 20 of 37 Posts