Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been scouring the internet to source some information on my beloved SLK R170 and I came across this website.

I am the owner of an SLK 200 Kompressor R170 - rare 6 speed manual - that has given me so much pleasure to drive over the last 12 months until now.

I recently left the interior light on in my vehicle over night and when I went to the car the following evening I still noticed the light was on. I quickly tried to start my car but unfortunately it made a tapping sound and would not turn over. The following day I jumped started the vehicle with my wifes car which was successful and left the car running for about 20 minutes.

When i turned the car off and then tried to turn it back on I couldnt start it again. The unusual thing was that I could get power throughout the interior of the car and the head lights but I could not get enough power to the engine.

I tried to jump it again which at this point would not work, thinking that the battery was dead I bought a new battery thinking that it might be the problem, but I still couldnt start the car.

I then had the car towed to my mechanic and the following day handed in both of the keys I have for the vehicle. The car has now been at the mecahnics for the last 4 days and they have had no success in being able to start the car. The vehicle has an aftermarket flashpoint alarm installed however I have had somewhere go to the workshop and disconnect the alarm and then try and start the vehicle but still nothing.(the after market alarm is not the problem)

My mechanic is a specilaist certified mechanic from mercedes and he is still scratching his head with this problem. He has plugged the car into the computer and everything is coming up as fine.He has never seen this problem before.

Is there anyone out there that has experience with the same problem? Or a similar problem?... the longer it stays in the workshop the more this problem is going to cost me.

Look forward to hearing from someone soon

Giacinto

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
I recently had my SLK 350 battery die (the evening before a LONG vacation drive). After the jump, although it started, the computer was very confused and limp home mode would kick in (amongst other things). Required a shop computer "reset". Perhaps that is needed although I would think the mechanic would have tried that.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,657 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Welcome from southern California.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,847 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,516 Posts

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Welcome from Hew Hampshire. I have been dealing with a problem for over a year now and just recently found the problem. The slk's have a known problem with the K40 relay board, most of the problems are with the pre face lift models. The solder joints go bad and need to be replaced, after having a good look at mine with a 20x magnifying glass i noticed that some of the joint were cracked just enough to create a starting problem, you can't see the cracks with the naked eye. Anyway after fixing the solder everything works great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys and girls for the tips and the welcome. I will let the mechanic know of the recommendations you have put forward and see how they go. i was reading some other posts and all seem to focus on the K40 relay module, hopefully that is the problem.

Mine is however the facelift model of the R170 and most cases of the relay module relate to the pre face lift model.

i will keep you posted.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Thanks guys and girls for the tips and the welcome. I will let the mechanic know of the recommendations you have put forward and see how they go. i was reading some other posts and all seem to focus on the K40 relay module, hopefully that is the problem.

Mine is however the facelift model of the R170 and most cases of the relay module relate to the pre face lift model.

i will keep you posted.
Your right pre face lift had the problems that's why i never bothered to give mine a close look, i have a 2002 230. Turns out even the facelift models have the K40 problem.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan....

·
Registered
74 Posts

i will keep you posted.
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have the same issue

1 - 17 of 17 Posts