Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the new used owner of a 2002 SL500 AMG in bright red for my wife. She is so in love with this car I just had to buy it. The car is in nice shape but needs some TLC.

The car has a crack in the lower air dam part of the front bumper.

I just purchased the tool to repair the crack. Now I need help in removing the bumper. I took some of the side bolts off and still can't figure out what else has to come off to get it off the car.

I did read a great posting on removing a newer cars bumper but it doesn't look the same as mine. Can anyone out there help me with this year and model.

Thank you in advance.

Brian & Lynn Chichi

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome Brian from southern California. Perhaps someone well versed in the SL can help.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,482 Posts
Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from NE England. Bear in mind that this is predominately an SLK forum, not SL, but you never know, someone might be able to help you.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan via Dallas Texas..... Good luck with your SL.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,529 Posts
Welcome aboard
I cant help with the bumper removal but you can download an SL encyclopedia that will answer a few questions about your SL.
if you dont have an owners manual there a link in my signature to download one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you one and all!

It's good to get so many nice welcomes form such a nobel crew!

For the record I am a former NY'er living in Southern California which I love. I rode a 1974 FLH Harley from NY to CA in 1977. Currently I ride a 2003 Ultra Classic Harley cross country for kicks. I also Love Jaguars and own a 1971 V12 XKE 2 +2 that I do all the work on.

This SL50 is a new fun toy for my wife and I to ride down coast highway in when the weather is perfect which is 80 % of the time in Southern California.

I am really just getting to know this car and am seeing how well it is put together and enjoying every minute of it. I found your forum by searching the web and couldn't find an SL forum but was glad to find and join your SLK forum.

Can someone explain when the SL's ended and the SLK started and what are the major differences please?

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Can someone explain when the SL's ended and the SLK started and what are the major differences please?
The Sl is still being made - it is a lot bigger than the SLK, and is more of a GT as opposed to the SLK being a sports car. The SLK came out in 1997/8 as the first major production car with a folding metal roof.

The following is a pic of a 2011 SL550.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts