Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys my name is matt im 49 live in saxmundham and i recently bought a 230 slk to keep me mentally sound as i have a disabilty and cant work wether it was a good idea or not is another issue, the car is a black special edition the battery tray is rotten it needs a respray the alternator has gone the drivers seat doesnt work and the handbrake cable needs adjusting these are things that i can see i dread the stuff i cant i would like to know what other stuff to look out for like wether they rot underneath etc. thanks muskey67

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,408 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts
Hi Matt, and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us and posting an intro! :)

Sounds like you have a real 'project' on your hands there. Good luck with it, and I'm sure that people who know more about R170s than I do will be along with some useful advice shortly...

We have quite a few members in the UK that like to meet up from time to time, although things tend to be a little quieter during the winter months. If you're interested in joining us sometime, just keep an eye on the UK Region section, as we post meeting plans there! :tu:

There is a summary post that I maintain for our UK meets ( here ). Links to examples and pictures from last year's meets are available here. We're a friendly group, and always happy to welcome new members at any of our meets.

Finally, we also recently started plotting where our UK members are - check out the thread for that here: SLKWorld UK & Ireland Members and Meeting Points Map

Thank you
Dave

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,839 Posts
Welcome from Canada :grin:

What year is your car? And where is saxmundham?

Reactions: muskey67

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
15,128 Posts
What year is your car? And where is saxmundham?

Can't tell you his car year, but Saxmundham (/ˈsæksməndəm/) is a small market town in Suffolk, England. It is set in the valley of the River Fromus, a tributary of the River Alde, approximately 18 miles (29 km) northeast of Ipswich and 5 miles (8.0 km) west of the coast at Sizewell. :smile:

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
622 Posts
Welcome on board dude. Sounds like you've got yourself a hobby/project car there - it'll keep you busy!

I don't know if you're able/interested in doing the work yourself but if you are, you've come to the right place.

I've only been on here a few days but already have a bookmark folder stuffed with useful threads about potential DIy maintenance for the one i'm buying (2001 slk230).

The search engine here is very useful but always remember to put slkworld.com before searching for anything;

e.g. 'slkworld.com roof maintenance' - this will bring up every page on slkworld.com with the words 'roof maintenance' in them (there's a lot, hope you like to read!)

Best Of Luck

RLander

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,052 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

Reactions: muskey67

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,182 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.

We have a free to enter monthly competition.
Entry is open from the 1st to the 15th of every month. You simply post a reply with 3 photos.
After the 15th we usually open a poll for members to vote on their favourite.
Here's the main thread:
ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

This month's entries:
http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/412769-february-2017-slkworld-com-ride-month-competition.html

There is a handy link to R170 diy in my signature below.

It's best to post requests for advice and help separately to your introduction.
Not everyone reads the intros.
The R170 has a great section for just that.

The UK has an active meet scene.
Here is a taste of what is coming up and a couple of links to past events to whet your appetite:
http://www.slkworld.com/united-kingdom-region/411649-2017-new-uk-members-spring-edition.html

Underneath the tail end suffers with our winter roads, as do arches.
If you can, get it on a ramp and have a good look underneath.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts