Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All, I picked up my SLK a fews days ago, just purchased a new NAV Map update, it still had the original 2005 disc. Short antenna, some new bulbs, rim lock, cargo net, and headlight armor; all on the way.

Future plans, include the Viper SmartStart, and maybe the SmartTop.

Filled up the tank for the first time today, that was not pleasant...$70 for only 370 miles...it's going to be interesting...something tells me, I'll be riding a whole lot more than i anticipated.

Do yall drive your SLKs in the winter (ice/snow)?...Service guy at MB dealership, pretty much said i should park it at home, even with snow tires on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
18,482 Posts
Welcome from Portland, Oregon. Never drive ours in winter. Can't stand the thought of sanding rock or chemicals damaging the paint.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey slyburn - greetings from MD (Frederick) too. My baby stays in the garage for much of the winter. Salt on the road = no driving for me.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Hello All, I picked up my SLK a fews days ago, just purchased a new NAV Map update, it still had the original 2005 disc. Short antenna, some new bulbs, rim lock, cargo net, and headlight armor; all on the way.

Future plans, include the Viper SmartStart, and maybe the SmartTop.

Filled up the tank for the first time today, that was not pleasant...$70 for only 370 miles...it's going to be interesting...something tells me, I'll be riding a whole lot more than i anticipated.

Do yall drive your SLKs in the winter (ice/snow)?...Service guy at MB dealership, pretty much said i should park it at home, even with snow tires on.
Where in MD? I'm in Falls Church, northern VA. I drive my SLK during very, very light snow. If it feels unsafe, I drive something else or get a ride. If you go to any car meets in the summer, let me know.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,618 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Maybe the smarttop? That, my friend, should be the first thing!
putting the top up or down from 200 feet away!!
ditto as you are moving less than 35 mph!!!
windows up or down with 2 clicks!!
chirps!!

oh my!!!!!!!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

·
Registered
512 Posts
welcome from Washington DC.
my car has not seen snow since I bought it and intend to keep it that way. However, if you dont have the luxury of owning another car, are you close to metro/subway stations to get to/from work?

great looking car! it would be really fun to get a DC/MD/NVA group to get together every so often and do a cruise.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,840 Posts
Welcome from rainy & windy Carmichael Northern California.

·
96,618 Posts
Capitolslk,

Please update your vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, vehicle.

If you haven’t, please post an 'NEW' introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where in MD? I'm in Falls Church, northern VA. I drive my SLK during very, very light snow. If it feels unsafe, I drive something else or get a ride. If you go to any car meets in the summer, let me know.
Looks like I'll have to get a second beater car for the winter then, its either this or the motorcycle at this point.

Maybe the smarttop? That, my friend, should be the first thing!
oh my!!!!!!!
Yeah, it looks like a good deal, heck the updated NAV DVD cost nearly as much as the smarttop...installation looks a little crazy though...found a shop near me that'll do it for $229.

·
96,618 Posts
as inept as i am, i have put it in 2 slks already in about 2 hrs. the diy by eddy and others is priceless

·
96,618 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
96,618 Posts
sorry about that. slkstore sells the smarttop by the way

oh black is beautiful in case i forgot to tell you that!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Welcome & congratulations from southern California where it's sunny and dry (in-between 2 storm systems).

Don't pay the $229 for a shop to install the Smarttop. At most it is a 2-hour DIY nice-to-do-on-a-weekend project.

Read the DIY several times and it is quite do-able, I never did any mods to my vehicle and the SmartTop was my first, albeit it took 3 hours (LOL).

·
96,618 Posts
and an excellent diy it is!!!!!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan - My is still in storage and has never seen snow, ice or salt...... Great DIY section for just about anything you might encounter!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry about that. slkstore sells the smarttop by the way
Slkstore doesn't seem to have the smarttop for the R171 in stock. I think mods4cars has it.

Welcome & congratulations from southern California where it's sunny and dry (in-between 2 storm systems).

Don't pay the $229 for a shop to install the Smarttop. At most it is a 2-hour DIY nice-to-do-on-a-weekend project.
Good stuff, i'll attempt it...can't be worst than 12 hour-24 hour DIY projects i have done on my previous Lancer.

·
96,618 Posts
ken gets em from mods4cars anyway i believe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts