Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Formula 1 has a bit of a passing problem. While the series hasn't published data for the amount of overtakes during the 2018 season, anecdotal evidence suggests there weren't a whole lot. For 2019, the series is making some changes that'll hopefully make the on-track action a bit more interesting.

Passing in F1 has been down since 2017 as a result of significant aerodynamic changes put in place for that season. With these changes, cars produce a wake of "dirty" air as they travel at speed. This dirty air prevents cars following from generating enough downforce in the corners, which makes passing extremely difficult.

Closer racing. More overtaking.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a25700442/2019-f1-aerodynamic-changes/

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I've watched motor racing since the 50s (my dad was a big fan) but no longer bother with F1.

When the top 3 teams are able to lap the rest of the field in a race, there is no point (for me) in watching.

It is no longer a race of drivers skill but of technology.

Put Hamilton in a Sauber or last year's Mclaren and he will not win a single race!

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Most races here are only shown as 1 hour of highlights on Monday night on “free to air “ tv.
Of that hour, only 25 minutes is actual racing laps,
so I can scan that at high speed and see all the interesting bits in just 5 minutes.
So little content will not sell tickets to see it live.

·
Premium Member
14,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is no longer a race of drivers skill but of technology.
I so agree with you I have not watched an F1 Race in over a year. Waste of my time. Here is a little highlight from 79 in VHS Quality.:smile::grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts