Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been avoiding vario-roof threads like a cat that goes the long way around a room to avoid the vacuum sweeper stored in the corner...

but then it happened.

We finally get a 70* day in kansas.... "finally! this will be my first long drive with the top down and the V8 rumble!" I pulled the little red button, everything unlocks, the roof goes about 6 inches and then EVERYTHING STOPS. I was able to do this about 8 times to get the roof down, and then I realized that the corner windows never retracted.

are these electronic or do they move via the hydraulic pump? could they have gotten stuck? clogged line? is it the same hydraulic line ("T" fitting), or does each side window have a separate line to the pump?

any ideas would be appreciated!

i'm so embarrassed... :crying:

·
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Windows are electrical controlled. Only the roof is hydraulic.
Just to clarify, I'm talking about the little quarter windows that usually go down and stay down. those are electric?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,344 Posts
You doubted him?!!!! :D

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,112 Posts
Steel cable is known for coming off the runner.
Often it is frayed.

Some members have managed to put new cable on (with your competence, should be doable if motor ok),
Most often it is a replace unit issue.

·
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I'm reading is that if one of the windows malfunctions, it affects both of them???

the dude in that last post had an issue where they would not go up - he apparently replaced one (and did not specify which one) and they worked.

I will have to get in there and check out the electricals.

·
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about a little bit of closure!

I was smart and started with the easy stuff first. there IS a rear fuse for the rear windows, which would cause them to both go-out at the same time.

and that was the problem. Vario roof works good now!

ZOE_0003.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.