Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up the wife's 2006 SLK280 yesterday and it has a wobble/shimmy/shake only when braking. I would venture to guess this is the rotor that is warped... Should I replace the rotor with vented rotors and what pads to use. I want to get this done today if possible and do the work myself. Will NAPA/AutoZone/Oreilly have the brakes (ceramic?) and rotors I need? NAPA had some slotted rotors but not sure of the quality... $145 but I like to stop as quickly as possible so money is not really a problem...
http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/ATM400362400/ATM400362400_0249144975

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,349 Posts
from your vin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks! So you think I need rotors and pads? Are the parts stores going to carry the sensor (I think that's what it's called)?

·
98,349 Posts
sorry, i am not the expert. :D others will chime in when they are not enjoying the weekend and their meets in the UK

those pdfs have the part numbers so you can get exactly what you need.
you might head to mb parts either at dealer or online sites

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found ceramic pads and drilled rotors at Advance Auto Parts - never thought they would have them in stock but they do! NAPA - nothing in stock, Oreilly had rotors but not drilled and no ceramic pads... So off to Horrible Freight to get a jack and stands to change the brakes... Hopefully bleeding these brakes is not difficult... I do have a brake bleeder from my Miata days that I can use hopefully...
Off to YouTube for some tips!

·
98,349 Posts
or our diy section

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK200
385 Posts
We picked up the wife's 2006 SLK280 yesterday and it has a wobble/shimmy/shake only when braking. I would venture to guess this is the rotor that is warped... Should I replace the rotor with vented rotors and what pads to use. I want to get this done today if possible and do the work myself. Will NAPA/AutoZone/Oreilly have the brakes (ceramic?) and rotors I need? NAPA had some slotted rotors but not sure of the quality... $145 but I like to stop as quickly as possible so money is not really a problem...
http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/ATM400362400/ATM400362400_0249144975
Hi
Good day.

Your problem could be because of the front wheel bearings and not necessary the disc or brake pad.

Please do a simple test if it is due to the front wheel bearings. (left & right wheels)

Jack your left front wheel up. (wheel hanging in the air)

1) Using both hands, grab the wheel on 1 o'clock & 6 o'clock' position.
Try to shake or rock the wheel.
If there is a slightest movement, then it could be the problem.

2) Then do it again on 9 o'clock & 3 o'clock' position but in this positions, please make sure the steering wheel is locked or get someone to hold it tight.

Also make sure all the steering system are of no movement when you do this test. eg: ball joints, lower arm ball joints, etc.

If it is only just the movement as in (1) then it is mostly your wheel bearing is at fault.

If you have no "grinding sound" when free wheeling, the the wheel bearing is just simply a wee bit loose.

DIY?

Remove the wheel & then tighten the wheel bearing.

Simple as that? not really if you don't know how.

Open the wheel bearing cap & tighten it according to manufacturer' spec.

Rule of thumb: tighten the wheel bearing hand tight until the wheel cannot spin with your hand.
Then Loosen it by a a quarter or half turn.
check again as in (1)
At the same time apply as much grease as possible to the bearing.

This should solve your problem.

Thank you & have a nice day.
ps: must do this check for both wheels.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After running the jack stand through the side of the car (don't ask) I decided to take it to a local brake shop...
They are saying the rotors I bought from Advance are not correct because I bought the 'Sport' package and I have the non-Sport package... I know the Sport brake pads don't fit but are the rotors different?

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,451 Posts
After running the jack stand through the side of the car (don't ask) I decided to take it to a local brake shop...
They are saying the rotors I bought from Advance are not correct because I bought the 'Sport' package and I have the non-Sport package... I know the Sport brake pads don't fit but are the rotors different?
Yes, they are probably larger, fronts 330 mm instead of 300.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.