Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2019 SLC43
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my slc 43 for a month now , and while it's coming towards summer, I started looking out for a second set of alloys for winter tyres.

Having come from a bmw 3 series, where there were always a few oem sets on the forum or ebay, I'm surprised that I haven't found anything yet - welcome any tips from others :-

- i found one website sellng genuine amg wheels, but they are like £2.5k....
- any more sensibly priced ones on eBay, I'm not too sure on different offset, and they all seem to be starting corroding too...
- happy to go aftermarket, welcome any recommendations
- size wise, neither is there a stocker in the door nor info in the handbook, but I think the recommendation is square 235? I had square winters on my last car - bmw 330d - and it really struggled to put the power down - I am in south west wales so winters are mild, but need something so I can do the first 5 miles unwritten roads when I have no choice for work
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,380 Posts
I have a winter car - so can't help with winter tyres, but tried My R171 on a snowy Scottish mountain pass & wasn't a good experience....
(Though our LSD might help a bit in icy conditions..?)

How about just fitting some Michelin Cross climate tyres for the winter months, on Your current wheels?
(Though that would still be ~£80/year to keep changing the tyres over... :frown:)
On the plus side, this option would get around the Tyre Pressure Monitors in the current rims..!!

This is a useful site to see which MB wheel designs fit Your R172 - Though MB can be cheaper..!!
> Mercedes SLC43 AMG Alloys (R172) - Alloy Wheels Direct

I've also been looking at spare AMG wheels, as the current wheels in circulation are only going to get worse in condition..
...and so far managed to pick up an identical AMG rear wheel for £275 (Inc Tyre & Pressure monitor) from a major insurance breakers in Oxfordshire, who are currently breaking a SLC43 :surprise:

This is the rear Wheel I purchased - Just need to find a front example in good condition...

> Details of: ASM Auto Recycling www.asm-autos.co.uk
> Wheel Example: https://parts.asm-autos.co.uk/parts-breaking-tyres/details/MERCEDES-SLC-43-AMG-18---INCH-FRONT-ALLOY-WHEEL---235-40-18-TYRE-A1724013002/152643/AV64AMG/

Attachments

·
Registered 2019 SLC43
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm BACK looking at this - albeit I am just getting around to selling my BMW winter wheel set

Current best option appears to be rial/wolfrace M10 - probably in gunmetal - does anyone have any experience of these??

I have to say that I have found the 5 spoke amg ones on German ebay, but they seem to be about £1000 used, so just feels like too much for something at least 5 years old maybe more.

Also, any advice appreciated on width for mild winters - my last car dropped 255 summers to 225 winters - traction control on cold wet roads ( but not icy) was like a Christmas tree!!!! So do I go 235 or stick with 265 for the rear?

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,380 Posts
I have to say that I have found the 5 spoke amg ones on German ebay, but they seem to be about £1000 used, so just feels like too much for something at least 5 years old maybe more.
Edit:
That does seem the going rate for the R172 AMG style wheels..
The 10 spoke design below for example where only fitted to the AMG R172/55 and the R172/SLC43. (In various colours)

Looking on the www.HowManyLeft.co.uk website, these are the current UK Stats for AMG vehicles:
> ~470 x R172/55 AMG's ever registered in UK
> ~570 x R172/43 AMG's currently registered..

Then take off all the dealers/people that opted for a different wheel design and there could be only 500 to 700 AMG's in the UK with this 10 spoke design..??

Which is why I'm keeping an eye out for a good front AMG 10 spoke front wheel (just for stock, due to UK pot holes..) due to there rarity.

Attachments

·
Registered 2019 SLC43
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, think I am either going for - in ascending preference:

Rial m10 ( sold in the U.K. As wolfrace)

OR

Borbet XRT

OR

The amg 5 spokes

The last seem like the best option - except they are only 7.5j - not sure if 235s are ok or not - seems to be conflicting info. I will ask my local trusted tyre place

If I go for one of the other two, the offset will be 40 so I think both ok?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts