Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a quick list of tools to buy my for my buddy.
He also owns a SLK as well.
Some one broke into his garage and stole all of his tools.
He helps me often with my car.
I need to know what types and sizes are common.
I will get him 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch Sockets

Please advise...
Socket sizes, 6 pt. or 12 pt. ?
Wrench sizes, 6 pt. or 12 pt. ?
Spark plug socket size ?
E Torx?
Also on the popular sizes, I would like to get him doubles of it.
And advise on any other tools that comes to your mind.

Thank You,
Jimmy

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Hi, Jimmy - all the fasteners on MB's are metric, so all you'll need is a good metric socket set, a set of 'Torx' bits, a big hammer :biglaugh:,, and any 'special' tools like filter wrenches specific to he car. 12 point sockets are better than 6 point - get a set of metric combination wrenches also, and you should be sorted. Keep well away from adjustable wrenches - they are designed to chew your nuts up !!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
instead of getting doubles, get him alternatives, try getting a full set of crow foot wrenches and box end wrenches, one set of 6 point impact ready sockets, and one 12 point set of sockets. Make sure you get quality tools if at all, even if you are working round a budget, better to get fewer good tools than lots of crappy ones. Focus on 3/8 inch tools, most flexible and most commonly used. you'll need both torx star as well as allen keys if possible. Everything is metric thankfully.

Craftsmen are my favorite. As a matter of fact, if you have a Sears around you, they sell complete beginner's mechanic sets on sale all the time, frequently at over 50% discount compared to buying the tools individually. comes with a great lockable tool case and everything you'll need to start with.

Here's a good example:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934252000P?vName=Automotive&keyword=metric

craftsmen also personalize the tools themselves and the cases for certain sets.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
You might also include a set of Torx sockets. I found those to come in handy recently as I replaced a busted exhaust system bracket mounted to the transmission housing. While I was down there, I saw quite a few Torx head bolts that I'm sure someday will need to be loosen for any number of reasons.

Woolly, don't you just hate it when your nuts get chewed up?!?!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.