Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While replacing the rear tires at Sam’s Club on my 2001 SLK 230 (118,900 ODO) – the tech found a 1/4”+ crack in the wheel rim. (I have pix but don’t know how to upload them.)

The owner of my local tire shop said it’s going to leak – even if I have it welded. I check the air in my tires every month and have never found extraordinary leakage, but to err on the side of safety, I’d like to replace both rear wheels.

My wheels are not stock SLK wheels. They are AMG wheels: Rear is 8.5J x17 (5-spoke) Mono Block Alloy Wheels; Tire size 245/40 R17.

Does anyone have any idea where I would find a set of these wheels – or worst case – a single wheel rim?

·
Super Moderator
11,532 Posts
Where are you?

Please put your city in your profile, not 32439. Saves all of us having to look up what zip that is :wink:

Gets you quicker answers too (which is what we all like :tu: )

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,522 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
While replacing the rear tires at Sam’s Club on my 2001 SLK 230 (118,900 ODO) – the tech found a 1/4”+ crack in the wheel rim. (I have pix but don’t know how to upload them.)

The owner of my local tire shop said it’s going to leak – even if I have it welded. I check the air in my tires every month and have never found extraordinary leakage, but to err on the side of safety, I’d like to replace both rear wheels.

My wheels are not stock SLK wheels. They are AMG wheels: Rear is 8.5J x17 (5-spoke) Mono Block Alloy Wheels; Tire size 245/40 R17.

Does anyone have any idea where I would find a set of these wheels – or worst case – a single wheel rim?

Of course it won't leak if it's repaired properly - and if it's not leaking now, it's unlikely to need a very serious repair.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Len!

Thanx for letting me know about the zip code vs. city. I guess when I signed up years ago, that was an acceptable answer. I can sure understand why you asked me to change it.

Also, thanx for the words of wisdom: "I can’t give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give
you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

Very appropriate right now......I'm on an HOA Board! LOL!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boy! I sure hope you're right! I'm checking the tire every few days to be sure it's not leaking, but my fear is that my wife will be at the grocery store one day and come out into 95 degrees with 95% humidity -- and find the tire flat. I KNOW I'd hear about that for a while! LOL!!

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,522 Posts
(I have pix but don’t know how to upload them.)

Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts